Lane Ltd...."10 Downing Street"....Any Substitutes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Years ago, I used to by "10 Downing Street" that was blended by Lane Ltd. Can no longer find this mild, English-blend. I can find Lane's "HGL" and was wondering if this is a fair substitute?
Better yet.....is "10 Downing Street" still being sold? I can't find it.
Thanks,
Frank

wy2w

Might Stick Around
Nov 10, 2015
Wow! I used to smoke that back in the eighties. Use to buy it at a local B&M. When they closed I just stayed with the Bengal Slices. If it is still being made, sign me up! Its been many years, but I sure do remember the pleasure it brings.

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
wy2w...
Thanks for the interest. I too smoked this many years ago.
Cannot find this old, Lane Ltd. tobacco blend, at least I don't know where to look for it. If I remember correctly, it was a very mild, English blend that didn't stink like burnt leather. I really don't want to smoke cased/flavored/Glycol-sprayed tobaccos, so mild Englishy-type blends are what I'm looking for. I'd like to smoke some of this, for old time's sake.
If you find a retailer, let me know, please.
BTW, I've found that memories of a thing can be deceiving, sometimes cruel....idealized recollections are sometimes better than the reality. I haven't smoked this blend for years, and wonder if I was to smoke some tomorrow, would I even enjoy it like I once did? Tastes and priorities do change over time....and don't I know it now. : ))) Is tobaccy any different?
Frank

wy2w

Might Stick Around
Nov 10, 2015
:rofl: Frank, you are so correct about memories! If one of us does track down a vender, and I buy some I may be saying something like "How did I like this stuff!" I'm much older now, and my taste buds are more of a decoration then a tool. Like you, though, I do like those mild English blends sans the extras.
Same with you, if you find a vendor please let me know. Maybe its just my senility giving me false memories, but I do want to find out :puffy: !
Jeff

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I too bemoan the loss of some of the old Lane blends. I used to smoke Highland and bought it at the Lane shop on 42nd St in New York.

As for a substitute, I'm sure there are many. I would suggest considering E. Hoffman's Spilman Mixture and Distinguished Gentleman or John Cotton Sweet English. Both are "old timey" blends.

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
papipeguy, and wy2w...
Judging by your posts, I think we can be considered "men of a certain age"....at least, I am.
When I was a young man, I used to shop all over lower-Manhattan. The area was loaded with surplus stores, job-lots, hardware stores, electric motor stores, WW-2 surplus stores, a hobbyist's dream....and, NYC was filled with Tobacconists, and tiny Pipe "Hospitals"....places where you can get your pipe fixed while you waited, or while you were at work. Men would drop off a pipe, at lunchtime, and pick up the repaired pipe at quitting time. The Wall Street area was filled with pipe shops, Wally Franks, Barclay Rex, and many others that were all over Manhattan. Men smoked pipes in those days... 1960s. Walking into a tobacco shop was a great experience for a young boy of 14. Ah!...that cloying, heady aroma of those exotic, tobaccos, all lined up on the oak counters, in giant, Apothecary jars. Looking at the 100s of pipes would make my eyes hurt. Where do I look first? It was great. Most shop owners were very friendly, and let me lift the glass lids and smell the tobacco. I couldn't wait until I grew up and could start smoking a pipe. I had to wait until I turned 16 years old for that to happen, and must have looked like a skinny, idiot when I did smoke my pipe. I didn't care. BTW, I loved to walk behind any gent who was smoking a pipe, especially in the chilly Autumn weather. A good whiff of pipe tobacco would transport me into a world that 14 year old boys dream of. And the girls would surely think is was smart! The joke was on me.
Today, sadly, it's all gone. So is that 14 year old boy. Try to find a Tobacconists or, affordable, Pipe Shop in NYC....where are they? There's no competition, so shops can charge whatever they want for pipes. Everything's gone, or the few shops that are left are just a ghost of what they were in the past. Wilke's, De La Concha, Wally Frank, Barclay Rex, Dunhill Pipes, Arnold's, Connoisseur Pipes... either gone, or unaffordable. That leaves mail-order....which I hate. I'll order tobacco off the web, but not a pipe. For the prices that they get for pipes these days, I want to get up close and personal with any contemplated briar purchase.
But, I digress...."10 Downing Street", where are you? Give me one more sip.
Frank

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I recently picked up some Peter Stokkebye's Luxury English.
It's proven to be a mild English blend that im enjoying quite a bit.
Sounds close to what you're seeking.
jay-roger.jpg

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Thanks guys-
I used to belong to the NYC Pipe Club, back when Sailorman Jack was still at the helm, Barry Levin mailed out photos of the estate pipes he was selling, and Tom Dunn's "Pipe Smokers Ephemeris" was an awaited event when it showed up in my mailbox. Back then, smoking was allowed....anywhere. There were some pipe shows in Newark, NJ, and I attended quite a few.
Jaytex.... thanks for the tip regarding PS's Luxury English. I will try some. BTW, like the black powder cannon. I made one of those, years ago, and loved shooting it on the Fourth of July, just blank-loaded, for salutes. Can't do that anymore in NYC. Cops will confiscate the cannon, and label me as a terrorist. Welcome to The USSA.
Frank

wy2w

Might Stick Around
Nov 10, 2015
Judging by your posts, I think we can be considered "men of a certain age"....at least, I am.
Frank - You bring a smile to my face writing about how the way things were, but the world has moved on. I thought the tobacco shops of old would be with us forever, but the anti-smoking Nazis are making sure that won't happen. I did track down a shop that is marketing a tobacco that's labeled as "10 Downing Street," and they do mail orders. However, the description says "...Bold English Blend..." It may be on the strong side, and won't be anything like Lane's. The bad news is that they are located in New York state, and I live in New York state, and with the "we want you to quite smoking so we're going to tax you" it sells for $5.50 an ounce (ouch!). If you're interested their webs site is: null . They are located in West Seneca, NY.
Jay - Thank you very much for the suggestion. I'll have to give it a try. :puffy:
Thanks All - Jeff

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
wy2y, et al...
Yep...indeed the world has moved on...and has become a strange place for me, an old fossil.
I revisited this post to let you guys know that Smoker's Haven lists "10 Downing Street" as one of their blends @6.25 p/oz.... but you beat me to the punch. Thanks for posting the good news.
BTW, I have tried Lane Ltd. "HGL" English blend, and find it just as good a smoke as "10 Downing Street", more affordable, and far easier to find. I let it dry out for a few days, and it smokes great....so, I'm a happy man again. This blend reminds me of Wilke's "Gotham Court"....another excellent tobacco blend. Ditto: Wilke's "High Hat"
"HGL" is supposed to be like Lane's RPL-6 ...but without the casings and flavorings, and with a little Latakia added. I like the aroma. It doesn't have that burnt leather stench, and is easy on the tongue. But hey, that's just me.
Smoker's Haven

716-675-6195
Pipeworks and Wilkes

802-661-8339
Frank

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
I just went to the Wilkes Tobacco site and noticed that they are listing "Wilkes 10 Downing Street". I wonder if it's the original Land Ltd. blend, or, their version of this aromatic, English blend?
Frank

wy2w

Might Stick Around
Nov 10, 2015
I have tried Lane Ltd. "HGL" English blend, and find it just as good a smoke as "10 Downing Street"
sumusfumus - Thanks for the info. It sounds interesting, and worth a try.
"Wilkes 10 Downing Street"
After my wife calms down, after getting all worked up over some recent purchases, I'll pick up a sample of this, and give it a shot.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I brewed up a version of an English for myself some time ago. Some have compared it to EMP: relatively light Latakia, heavy on the Virginias, a smidge of Burley to shore them up, and relatively strong on the Orientals. A light English can be a very refreshing smoke.

wy2w

Might Stick Around
Nov 10, 2015
A light English can be a very refreshing smoke.
@deathmetal - You are so right. Some light English does make the world seem right. This blend that you came up with, is it a trade secret, or would you be able to share its ingredients? :) I wouldn't mind mixing up a batch. I've tried my hand at coming up with some mixtures, but a Tobacconist I am not. I like smoking other's creations. It's cheaper for me; less waste of good tobacco. :puffy:

wy2w

Might Stick Around
Nov 10, 2015
Sorry @deathmetal, I meant to say the proportions of those ingredients. I would rather smoke something that I can put together myself rather than a pre-blend. That way when a pre-blend that I really like goes out of production I'm not hunting around. I do have a few mixtures that I make based other's creativity, but nothing for a good light English. So, if I like your creation I'm set for life, or for what's left to it!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I would rather smoke something that I can put together myself rather than a pre-blend. That way when a pre-blend that I really like goes out of production I'm not hunting around.
You know... that's wise.
I guess I never understood what I was drifting in this direction anyway, but when you work from raw ingredients, it is like cooking your own food: you can make it the way you want.
Now I just need some additional utensils.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Digging out the notebook here, and here is the mixture as I can best translate my scrawl:
10% Latakia

30% Burley (3:1 dark/white)

30% Red Virginia

15% Bright Virginia

15% Orientals
I recall that in one batch, I "dusted" (ground between fingers until it disintegrated) some dry-ish Dark Fired Kentucky Burley to enhance the smokiness of the Latakia, and then hydrated it slightly with a mix of distilled water and honey, warmed in the microwave.
It smokes easily, is Medium in Nicotine, and if you wait for the sales, can be made for a little over $2 an ounce. You have to buy in bulk though, but having a few pounds of this aging is a nice feeling.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like the occasional Lat-bomb and bully-boy Bulkan/English blend, but if you're looking for a refined, subtle mild English to calm the excitement in your rotation, try Nat Sherman 536. I met this one at the Nat Sherman store in Manhattan as a bulk blend, but it is available in tins at SP and other online retailers. It has a pleasing complexity without being esoteric about it. Good stuff.

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Terrific information! Love the idea of blending different tobaccos together to make your own specialized blend(s) - by working with blending tobaccos.
Or maybe even take a easily found, well established blend, and add more specialized tobaccos to it, turning it into a customized mixture tailored to your own taste.
For example....I could start with Lane Ltd/"HGL" as a base, and add some ????? Damn....I have no idea what proportions, or tobaccos to use, and how they influence the final blend/mixture. Well, now it's time to do some research.
Question:

Being new to this forum, is there a thread where recipes for customized blends/mixtures can be found, much like the example deathmetal provided?
Thanks for all the interesting replies, suggestions, etc. I'm glad I asked.
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.