PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I received a two ounce sample of this by mistake. I was supposed to get two tins of the Peterson Holiday Season 2013 and instead I was given one tin and a two ounce sample of this blend. The issue was squared away and I received the second tin, but in the mean time I gave this Black Raspberry by Lane Limited a go and I'm glad I did.
It's a typical Lane Limited aromatic, mostly Virginia and Black Cavendish with a bit of Burley. It comes rather on the moist side as most Lane blends do, so most people will probably want to give it some drying time. For a first time smoke I'd suggest filling the bowl and letting it sit for ten or fifteen minutes before lighting up. That's what I did on the first bowl and I'm glad I did.
The pouch note is a very nice raspberry flavoring with a hint of cream noticeable. I haven't had a raspberry blend yet, so it made me eager to give it a go.
Packing the bowl was routine and it took a charring and true light nicely. As with most Lane blends the leaf burned evenly to a white ash. I had the typical few relights as is the norm for me.
The raspberry flavoring came through prominently on the light up, but as the bowl began to burn it slowly evened itself out to a nice marrying of top dressing flavor and tobacco flavor. I didn't get any of the chemical taste that some people tend to with aromatics.
I didn't get any tongue bite from it. Just a nice mellow smooth smoke. It does send wonderful billowy plumes of white smoke into the air. Definitely a blend to give smoke rings a go with. On that note, the room note was a pleasant one. I received a number of compliments on the aroma by those I smoked it around.
All in all it's a nice smoke, especially for the price. I'd suggest it for beginners or anyone interested in aromatics. It's a blend that I'll definitely order more of later on.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I bought some of this recently and like you, it wasnt an intended buy and also like you, i was pretty happy with it. I recommend it.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
Thanks for the review... I was thinking about ordering some of the Lane HGL blend, anyone have any knowledge about this stuff? The price is great on pipesandcigars and I am a big English fan so I figured I would give it a shot.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
Great review, and thanks. I have browsed this blend before, but thought it would be too sweet. I think I'll buy a couple of ounces on my next order.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
I received this blend as a free sample from SP. LOTPR's review was spot on. The only negative for me was the moisture factor. It took a looong time to dry even with a lamp(humidity in NJ this time of year didn't help). Overall it was a pleasant and mellow smoke and the wife loved the room note.

bogie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2010
Thank you for the review! I have wondered about this blend. I love the Firedance Flake in that in one moment the blackberries come through and the very next you get the cream! Very lovely mixture indeed. I will be ordering this from Lane and hopefully I have a great experience with this as well!
Thanks

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I received a 1oz sample with an order I made a few weeks ago. I found it rather tasty, and without any chemical taste. It smokes slow and cool as well, no bite in a meerschaum. My mother could still smell raspberry when I was still halfway through the bowl.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I'm guessing this happened with SPC. I really like those guys but....maybe they are getting too busy or something. I've had 2 messed up orders with them, and an issue of customer service I wasn't thrilled with....all in about 2 months.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks for all the compliments.
Yes the order was placed with smokingpipes.com. I didn't have any problems however. I emailed them right after receiving the original order and noticing the missing tin. The next morning I called to check on it and they notified me the email had been processed and the tin was on its way.

lordape

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2013
Sounds nice. I think I'll have to put it on my ever growing list of tobaccos to try :lol:

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Wow. I didn't like this at all. Sounds like it's a hit with the confirmed aro smokers, but if you don't usually smoke fruity aromatics, this probably isn't for you. Even the wife disapproved (and that was before I lit up). Happy to hear others are enjoying the free samples, though.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
So interesting that everyone's tastes are different. What one person really like another could really hate. There's a big life lesson here. :)

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
Thanks for the review. I've been hearing a lot about this blend recently and am eager to give it a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.