PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dj11

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2013
Curiosity got the best of me so I bought a tin. Lane Limitied Ready Rubbed (Edgeworth). I haven't cracked open the tin yet but plan to today. If you bought a tin let me know what you think please.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
It is exactly what they say it is- a pretty plain, good-tasting, easy burning burley. Not fancy, no fireworks, but a what they always call a nice, mild "all day" smoke. For people who smoke all day, that is.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What's the story on why Lane can't use the Edgeworth name? Someone sold them the blend but not the name, I'd guess?

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
What's the story on why Lane can't use the Edgeworth name? Someone sold them the blend but not the name, I'd guess?

That's the way I've heard it. I don't remember the details, but they acquired the recipe, not the name.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
My info is that they were blending it for Edgeworth when it was discontinued.
I enjoy it - nice to have around. It's the sort of blend I'll smoke more in the summer than in the winter.

dj11

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2013
Thanks gang. It is what it is. A typical burley blend like the OTC standards. Not bad at all. Nice to have around when all else fails.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sometimes a good old burley is as good as it gets -- Carter Hall, 702, Burley Without Bite, Chatham Manor.

kinnscience

Lurker
Sep 20, 2014
I have several 14 oz tins of Edgworth RR that I've been hoarding since they discontinued it. I also have the remains of an opened tin in mason jars, and so far it has lasted me without having to open any new tins (I have gotten away from Burley blends and smoke them maybe twice a month). My opinion of the Lane blend is that it is much like the previous "match" tobaccos by various blenders. I would have thought it to be a dead on exact production of ERR, but with time, it seems few things can be replicated perfectly. Not surprising really, I've had different "versions" of, for example, Sam Gawith FVF, depending on the year it was tinned, and there were a few years there where the recipe had, apparently, gotten messed up somehow .... as many were complaining. In the end, I think it comes down to more than just having a recipe for blending/curing/casing/etc. I think that, as people pass through their careers and other new folks are brought on board, there is the possibility that things change slightly. Who knows. What I do know is that many tobacco blends change over the years, and when a recipe is "brought back" or "rediscovered" the new blend/flake is not always the same product, for probably several reasons.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
If you're looking for codger Burleys, this one grabbed my imagination:
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/73129/blending-dark-fired-kentucky-burley/
Mix in 25% Carter Hall and you've got the grandaddy of American-style smokes.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I bought a 14oz can of it, am almost done with it. Won't be buying any more. It's better than many other drugstore blends, but it's not that cheap especially compared to bulk blends of much higher quality and interesting taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.