Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Lane Limited

(39 posts)
  1. zanthal

zanthal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was wondering if I could hear a little commentary about the other blends offered by Lane Limited. I've only tried 1Q, which I smoke regularly, and would like to hear how their other blends stack up against it.

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. mluyckx

Belgian Mick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

MV-1000: My go-to lately. Less heavy on the aromatic than 1-Q. Straight yet mild Virginia, no bite so to speak of. Mild vanilla-ish. I almost get like a Werther's candy from it. Wife (edit) likes the smell. Love it. Have a pound of it in jars.
    RLP-6: Not bad, heavier on the aro side. I get buttered popcorn/caramel when I smoke it. But less impressed than the MV-1000. This one has lost out against the 1-Q and Mark Twain. But it's not bad.

"The fact is, squire, the moment a man takes to a pipe, he becomes a philosopher. It's the poor man's friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on this universal earth."
    -"Sam Slick, the clockmaker" aka T.C.Haliburton
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. portascat

portascat

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I mix Lanes 1Q and BCA at an equal ratio for the big bag of stuff I keep around when i am too lazy to make up my mind.

"To seek freedom is the only driving force I know. Freedom to fly off into that infinity out there."
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like a 50/50 mix of RLP-6 & BCA

The most important things in life are good friends and a good bullpen...not necessarily in that order

You may all go to hell, I'll go to Texas-Davy Crockett
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. wildcat

wildcat

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I enjoy Lanes Black Cavendish packaged under their Smokers Pride label. Very mellow and mildly sweet nutty vanilla. Very affordable too, 12 oz for $13 to $16 on line.

For whereas men of an older school, like myself, smoke for the pleasure of smoking...
    A.A. Milne
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. mluyckx

Belgian Mick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Crpntr1: aka midnight gold

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ahem..good stuff!!..

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. puffy

puffy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lately I've been smoking RLP-6.It's just a bit too mild for me though.I probably won't buy it again.I think 1Q has more taste.My favorite LANE blend was a Latakia blend called HGL.For reasons unknown to me it was discontinued.

Life's most valuable treasure is..Love
    Posted 2 years ago #
  9. zanthal

zanthal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks very much for the suggestions.

too bad about the Latakia-based blend being discontinued. Would be interesting to find out how Lane does latakia.

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. leonardw

Leonard Wortzel

Brand Manager, Lane Limited

Login to Send PM

My favorite LANE blend was a Latakia blend called HGL.For reasons unknown to me it was discontinued.

When Reynolds bought Lane Limited back in 2006, they essentially put the bulk pipe tobacco (and essentially the whole company) out to pasture. We used to have about 40 bulk blends. Reynolds quickly cut it down to the 7 that are available today: 1Q, Very Cherry, BCA, Burley-Light-Without-A-Bite (BL/WB), HS-3, MV-1000, and RLP-6. At the request of several of our wholesale distributors (we don't sell direct to retail or consumers) we've recently brought back TK-6.

As to HGL, particularly criminal to have discontinued this blend, considering that HGL stands for Herman G. LANE, the last member of the Lane family to own the company, and the creator of Captain Black. That blend is what he used to smoke around the office.

The question everyone has is: Will the old Lane blends come back? If I have anything to do with it (and it's kind of my job), the answer is yes. But it may take about a year or so.

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My all time favorite Lane Ltd. blend was Highland. A lat blend somewhat akin to "And So To Bed" as I recall. I smoked that every day in the 1970's and early 1980's. I used to buy it at the Lane Ltd. store on 42nd st. in New york. Oh, to have it back again.
    leonardw- do you remember Highland?

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  12. docrx

docrx

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

RLP-6 is somewhat less sweet and has a touch of spice as compared to 1Q. I have enjoyed smoking both.

It is impossible to tickle yourself
    Posted 2 years ago #
  13. mluyckx

Belgian Mick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Leonard,

Thanks for jumping in on this. Shows your care, focus and passion.

Good luck in bringing the older blends back. I'm not a Lat fan at all, more of a VA and VA/Per guy,

@Doc and @Puffy: Yep. I like the RLP-6, but it's this in between MV-1000 and 1-Q that makes it a bit of a hybrid. I like it, but either I want something more mellow and go for the MV-1000, or something with more flavor and go for the 1-Q. Which leaves it hanging in between the two and gets rarely and pipe time with me. I notice my jars of 1-Q, MV-1000 and Mark Twain get empty a lot faster than the jar of RLP-6. Perhaps for a Burley fan it may be a better fit.

Zanthal: I'd get a couple of ounces of each, put them in a jar and play with them. They're all good day-to-day smokes. As mentioned. I always have a jar of those three around. The Mark Twain is an Altadis/AC Peterson bulk.

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. leonardw

Leonard Wortzel

Login to Send PM

Oh, to have it back again.
    leonardw- do you remember Highland?

I haven't smoked it - a bit before my time. But I've seen on the old list of bulks. By the way, we still have a guy working here in Tucker, GA that used to work at the old NY factory. I think he's been with the company about 34 years.

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Kinda cool to think about a company bringing back blends that were smoked before I was born.

I can't wait!

"I was born to lose. So I'll die to win." -Breaking Benjamin
    Posted 2 years ago #
  16. zanthal

zanthal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

LeonardW, thanks very much for posting.

@Mick - I'm about 12 hours ahead of you, I've got 4 ounces each of RLP-6, MV-1000, BCA and of course 1Q on the way.

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. mluyckx

Belgian Mick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Zanthal: nice going !

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. zanthal

zanthal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I haven't smoked it - a bit before my time. But I've seen on the old list of bulks. By the way, we still have a guy working here in Tucker, GA that used to work at the old NY factory. I think he's been with the company about 34 years.

Well Leonard, your company's blends are pretty popular around here. If your product line ever expands to include new (or old) blends, I can think of easily 10 people that I've met in just my short couple of months on these forums who's wallets would be loosened in preparation. Myself included.

Keep us posted?

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 zanthal....btw, when you get that shipment, give midnight gold a go, atleast once

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. krgulick

krgulick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think you will like all that you have ordered. I have tried and like 1Q BCA and RLP-6. You really cannot go wrong with any one of them.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are small and crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  21. lordnoble

lordnoble

Mod

Login to Send PM

If you can find it, and papipeguy will agree with me, Crown Achievement is a really good Lat blend. Supposedly it was Lane's most expensive blend to make. If they brought that back, I'd be so ecstatic!

-Jason

The preceding statement is not to be construed as fact, but merely conjecture.

Proud member of the BlackBlood Society
    Posted 2 years ago #
  22. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

I started with Captain Black White and have now settled into 1-Q as my regular aro. I'm glad to see Lane Ltd. is looking at some old blends, which will be new blends for guys like me.

Proud Member of the Blackblood Society Photobucket
    Posted 2 years ago #
  23. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ditto on Crown Achievement, Jason. Park Lane, I think in Albany, NY, still had some last year.

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. lordnoble

lordnoble

Mod

Login to Send PM

I have a sizable stash of it that I've acquired, so I don't need to get any more for a while, but maybe it'd cure that TAD itch I've been having... Let's see if I remember their website...

-Jason

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. aristokles

aristokles

Login to Send PM

Hi, guys.
    As a mainly English blend smoker I rarely smoke aromatics. When I do it's one of several Lanes I've stashed over the past few years: Very Cherry, Buttered Rum, RPL-6, 1-Q, and Hazelnut. Hazelnut is a more-or-less regular when I do venture off the Latakia reservation.
    But one blend in particular (which I assume is a Lane because that was all my B&M carried at one time),labeled at the B&M as "RBL (Light) #627" has me stumped. I really like it but cannot place the flavor/aroma at all. Even my wife likes the smell of the stuff but can't identify it. I assume it's discontinued. I'm down to my last ounce and have no idea what to even search for as a replacement.
    Anyone know this blend?

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. tomdavis

Sundown Piper

Login to Send PM

@LeonardW - Very much appreciate your thoughts and plans. Let us know when a new/old blend is coming out and I will try to be the first in line.

All things I undertake must contain integrity, compassion, elegance and grace.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  27. leonardw

Leonard Wortzel

Login to Send PM

But one blend in particular (which I assume is a Lane because that was all my B&M carried at one time),labeled at the B&M as "RBL (Light) #627" has me stumped.

From old photocopy of our bulk descriptions (not sure a digital version even exists):
    627 - RB 'Light': A light mixture of Golden Virginia Tobacco, with a touch of Mellow Burleys and a hint of Oriental Tobacco uniquely flavored to provide a smooth, light, bite-free smoke.

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. mluyckx

Belgian Mick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hmm.. now I may want to try that one if you ever bring that back !

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. aristokles

aristokles

Login to Send PM

Many thanks, LeonardW, for going to the trouble to research #627. Whatever that flavoring was, it was good (or rather, is, at least for one teeny ounce -sniff, sniff).

Posted 2 years ago #
  30. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Leonard, I'd like to add my thanks as well for your participation here. Its fun having someone "in the know" discussing our old favorites.

Posted 2 years ago #
  31. zanthal

zanthal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Portascat, thumbs up on the BCA/1Q mix.

Will be trying 'midnight gold' next

Posted 2 years ago #
  32. User has not uploaded an avatar

smokey422

Login to Send PM

Burley Light Without Bite (BLWB) is one I have smoked quite a bit of but have decided I won't be ordering any more because there are many Burleys I like better. Some of those include Boswell's Premium Burley, P&C Butternut Burley, P&W Nut Brown Burley, several from C&D, and Cuban Mixture and Burley Plug Cut (BPC) from L.J. Peretti. If you do decide to try BLWB, be aware that Just For Him sells it under the shop name of Buccaneer's Blend and they're often cheaper than the e-merchants with the BLWB.

Smokey

Posted 2 years ago #
  33. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think I'll smoke a bowl of midnight gold, in anticipation of your thoughts.

Posted 2 years ago #
  34. cacooper

cacooper

Login to Send PM

Leonard,

Here's my vote for Lane tobaccos to bring back to the market:

#L631 RHQ-3
    #L192 Black Raspberry
    #L109 HGL
    #L627 RB Light
    #L124 A-100
    #L188 LL-7
    #L104 R-18
    #L183 HG2000
    #L181 PLC
    #L193 Hazelnut
    #L111 BS-005

A big list, but nothing like Lane offered in 2005, my final year in business. I stocked all of these in my shop, plus several more (BCA, 1-Q, RLP-6, etc.). The preceding item numbers are from my wholesale price list dated January 5th, 2005, when you could still buy direct from Lane in Tucker. Lane had the greatest and finest selection of blends and bulk tobaccos available. Here's hoping you can revive a once great and noble company and restore these fine blends to the marketplace.

Best of luck!

CACooper

Posted 2 years ago #
  35. zanthal

zanthal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tried Midnight Gold. It's good. I like 1:1 of BCA/1Q more though.

I hope we see them revitalized and brought back to sale, cacooper.

Posted 2 years ago #
  36. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think I must be one of the few pipesmokers out there who has never smoked Lane's. I have spent my entire pipesmoking career in towns where there were old-school pipeshops that had developed their own blends. Now, with the internet I have access - but as a non-aro guy, not much interest. I have been exploring bulks, though - did a bunch of Altadis recently. I'd try some Lane's if they had latakia blends. I'll keep an eye open.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 2 years ago #
  37. tokerpipes

tokerpipes

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like Lane Ltd. I just have one issue. Where I live the drugstores only carry CB gold and CB white. I know its up to what the store wants to carry but I prefer the Royal to those. Most of the Lane blends are not too heavy which I like also. There is just something about a blend that overpowers the room note, taste, and tin note. It just makes me want to step away from that blend, but never a problem with any of the Lane blends.

If you can't pack it, light it, and smoke it then why do it. It's a dieing art that must be rekindled in all of us as fortold by our forefathers.

Words to live by for all pipe smokers.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  38. User has not uploaded an avatar

smdavis

Login to Send PM

I know this is an old post but I felt compelled to comment. First, I want to thank LeonardW for commenting in this topic. I have kept bulk Lane tobacco on hand for over 35 years and I sent RJ Reynolds more than one "hate" mail back when I was still using pen and paper. I never tried HGL, wish I had (someone told me they smoked Latacia over camel dung and I would not try it).

I am also grateful for the return of TK-6. I continue to keep adequate supplies on hand of each of the seven current blends. I am looking forward to re-expanding my choices.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. mlyvers

mlyvers

Login to Send PM

all i can here guys, you all are great. the shop here in louisville ky (KREMERS SMOKE SHOP) stocks LANES TOBACS. of course they put diff names on the bar. lane tobacs are popular here.

mike.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   fishnbanjo, barleynbaccy, eightywon, tuold, antbauers, pipesmoker