PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I was wondering if I could hear a little commentary about the other blends offered by Lane Limited. I've only tried 1Q, which I smoke regularly, and would like to hear how their other blends stack up against it.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
MV-1000: My go-to lately. Less heavy on the aromatic than 1-Q. Straight yet mild Virginia, no bite so to speak of. Mild vanilla-ish. I almost get like a Werther's candy from it. Wife (edit) likes the smell. Love it. Have a pound of it in jars.

RLP-6: Not bad, heavier on the aro side. I get buttered popcorn/caramel when I smoke it. But less impressed than the MV-1000. This one has lost out against the 1-Q and Mark Twain. But it's not bad.

wildcat

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
I enjoy Lanes Black Cavendish packaged under their Smokers Pride label. Very mellow and mildly sweet nutty vanilla. Very affordable too, 12 oz for $13 to $16 on line.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Lately I've been smoking RLP-6.It's just a bit too mild for me though.I probably won't buy it again.I think 1Q has more taste.My favorite LANE blend was a Latakia blend called HGL.For reasons unknown to me it was discontinued.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Thanks very much for the suggestions. :puffy:
too bad about the Latakia-based blend being discontinued. Would be interesting to find out how Lane does latakia.

leonardw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2011
My favorite LANE blend was a Latakia blend called HGL.For reasons unknown to me it was discontinued.
When Reynolds bought Lane Limited back in 2006, they essentially put the bulk pipe tobacco (and essentially the whole company) out to pasture. We used to have about 40 bulk blends. Reynolds quickly cut it down to the 7 that are available today: 1Q, Very Cherry, BCA, Burley-Light-Without-A-Bite (BL/WB), HS-3, MV-1000, and RLP-6. At the request of several of our wholesale distributors (we don't sell direct to retail or consumers) we've recently brought back TK-6.
As to HGL, particularly criminal to have discontinued this blend, considering that HGL stands for Herman G. LANE, the last member of the Lane family to own the company, and the creator of Captain Black. That blend is what he used to smoke around the office.
The question everyone has is: Will the old Lane blends come back? If I have anything to do with it (and it's kind of my job), the answer is yes. But it may take about a year or so.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
My all time favorite Lane Ltd. blend was Highland. A lat blend somewhat akin to "And So To Bed" as I recall. I smoked that every day in the 1970's and early 1980's. I used to buy it at the Lane Ltd. store on 42nd st. in New york. Oh, to have it back again.

leonardw- do you remember Highland?

docrx

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 9, 2011
RLP-6 is somewhat less sweet and has a touch of spice as compared to 1Q. I have enjoyed smoking both.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Leonard,
Thanks for jumping in on this. Shows your care, focus and passion.
Good luck in bringing the older blends back. I'm not a Lat fan at all, more of a VA and VA/Per guy,
@Doc and @Puffy: Yep. I like the RLP-6, but it's this in between MV-1000 and 1-Q that makes it a bit of a hybrid. I like it, but either I want something more mellow and go for the MV-1000, or something with more flavor and go for the 1-Q. Which leaves it hanging in between the two and gets rarely and pipe time with me. I notice my jars of 1-Q, MV-1000 and Mark Twain get empty a lot faster than the jar of RLP-6. Perhaps for a Burley fan it may be a better fit.
Zanthal: I'd get a couple of ounces of each, put them in a jar and play with them. They're all good day-to-day smokes. As mentioned. I always have a jar of those three around. The Mark Twain is an Altadis/AC Peterson bulk.

leonardw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2011
Oh, to have it back again.

leonardw- do you remember Highland?

I haven't smoked it - a bit before my time. But I've seen on the old list of bulks. By the way, we still have a guy working here in Tucker, GA that used to work at the old NY factory. I think he's been with the company about 34 years.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Kinda cool to think about a company bringing back blends that were smoked before I was born. :D
I can't wait!

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
LeonardW, thanks very much for posting.
@Mick - I'm about 12 hours ahead of you, I've got 4 ounces each of RLP-6, MV-1000, BCA and of course 1Q on the way.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I haven't smoked it - a bit before my time. But I've seen on the old list of bulks. By the way, we still have a guy working here in Tucker, GA that used to work at the old NY factory. I think he's been with the company about 34 years.
Well Leonard, your company's blends are pretty popular around here. If your product line ever expands to include new (or old) blends, I can think of easily 10 people that I've met in just my short couple of months on these forums who's wallets would be loosened in preparation. Myself included.
Keep us posted?

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I think you will like all that you have ordered. I have tried and like 1Q BCA and RLP-6. You really cannot go wrong with any one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.