PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

collindow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
I just picked up an oil lamp from an estate sale down the street from me (no pipes, seems like the guy was a cigar smoker though, because he had several ashtrays) and I was curious, can I burn lampe berger oil in it? It's just a big ol' resevoir for oil with a wide wick, and a glass tube surrounding it.

Thanks!

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
After scrutinizing pictures on the lampe berger website, I'm going to say, yes, you could burn lampe berger oil in a regular oil lamp. But, without the fancy regulation and diffusers on an authentic lampe berger, you may have trouble replicating the desired results.

collindow

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
Hmm. Well, I have a few weeks of regular oil to burn through, so I'll let you know how it goes when I get the chance.

forsooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
I'm not certain, but I believe that it has to be a special container because the fluid has alcohol (?) content. Not sure, but worth checking out. Also, I think I remember that the effect is gained not from the burning itself, but the aroma is exuded after extinguishing the flame.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
It would be better to get an effusion lamp to burn the Lampe Berger oil in,

if you want the benefit of it's use. That stuff is too pricey to just burn

in a regular lamp.

collindow

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
Yeah, I'm not just looking for a substitute for regular oil! I guess I'll order up an actual lampe berger sometime...and the flickering light of an oil lamp is still handy for, how shall I say, delicate situations.
Awww yeahhh.

Edit: Made Awww yeahhh a link.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Depends on the base New Orleans Fragrance cuts good at about 50/50 , you can also make your own useing perfume a very small amount of polo say a 1/4 teaspoon and a pint of alchol goes a long way .Estee Lauder Youth-Dew Bath Oil also does well .

.The scents in the craft stores do not seem to work as well. 91% or 99% alcohol is the key anything less will spit and sputter and try to go out .

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
My wife worked for years in a bridal registery and gift store. We had a lot of these around the house. The smell is is given off after the oil is drawn up the wik and hits the stone. The alcohol only acts as a medium to draw the oil up the wik and to burn to make the stone hot. Burning the lamp berge oil in an oil lamp would be extremely expensive compared to lamp oil and would probably burn much hotter and much quicker then it should.

oldjazzlover

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2011
Yeah I got beat to what I wanted to say, but you can cut your own scents into the regular lamp oils. We tend to use them a lot down here in hurricane alley, but my grandmother has added scents to her oils for years with aftershave,cologne,perfume or whatever she was in the mood for. You just may notice that you have to adjust the flame sometimes as some additives burn hotter and produce more smoke. I hope you have fun with your new purchase!

Status
Not open for further replies.