PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Just got my lampe berger and tried it out. It just might work! It's been mentioned by several when the topic of removing tobacco odors comes up.
But it's the old Gillette razor trick. Sell a 89 cent razor and then charge $2.00 for replacement blades.... And do they have Amazon covered! I had to zip through 15 pages of nothing but their proprietary product offerings. More expensive than whisky!!
So, anyone have good leads on cheap but good solution? It seems that it's 90% + isopropyl alcohol plus some fragrances, so how hard would it be to make it at home??

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Wife says get scented oils, mix it with 91% Alcohol, 10 to 12 drops, if you will use it for a long duration don't make it too strong, if you make it too weak, you can lift the wick and add a few drops , shake it and away you go.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Been using these for years, and they work great! I use 90+% alcohol and ESSENTIAL OILS, not fragrance oils. You can buy them online, but I buy most of mine at GNC, they have a fairly good selection. You can also buy pre-mixed oils at Courtney's Candles online, they have some great scented oils that sell for about $13 a liter, plus they have everything you need in lamps, wicks, etc.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
" just like the smell of sandalwood." -- A Kaintuck hippah! Git th' ball bats, boys; we's goin' on a run! [grin, duck, & run like h###]

yuda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2017
Thought about getting one of these things once I get my own place and I'm too lazy to go smoke outside or mother nature decides she doesn't like me. The discussion on making my own fragrance and such only further encourages me, seeing as how a man needs his hobbies.

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
I use 90% isopropyl alcohol (a couple of bucks) and add some essential oils (any fragrance you want, cheap on Amazon). This is significantly cheaper the Lampe Berger oil (which is basically alcohol and essential oil)

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
Also, if you want, you can use straight 90% isopropyl alcohol, no fragrance, has a nice clean smell.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks, Mr. Civil! Just ordered a pack of 16 oz bottles, and we have a bunch of essential oils in the house from some time ago.
Significantly cheaper??!! Oh, my. Lampe Berger branded stuff is over $1.00 an ounce, and the straight 91% isopropyl is under 10 cents!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Got my delivery of 91%, but it won't light. It may be that the wick contains too much 70%, which I tried while waiting, a mistake. Threw out the diluted stuff. Now drying out the wick and will try resoaking it in the purer 91%

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
That did not work. It just wouldn't light.
BUT! I found a hint on the web: There needs to be a tiny airway between the two bits of thick wick. Insertion of a paper clip did the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.