PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
Anyone else not noticeably affected by nicotine? I can smoke several bowls of reportedly high-nic tobacco and not feel a thing.
Only exception is when I've had some alcohol, but then it is hard to tell which vice is the culprit.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
I used to be completely immune to any noticeable affect, but in the last few months I've begun feeling it more. Usually just a mildly "relaxed" feeling, but a couple of times I've actually gotten dizzy and mildly nauseous.
I don't really know what's changed. Am I just getting older? Absorbing more as I slow my smoking cadence? Alien parasite? I don't know.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I think a lot depends on your smoking history. People who are used to inhaling cigarettes will not get the same instantaneous satisfaction they crave, even with the strongest nicotene pipe tobacco unless they inhale, which pretty much defeats the taste, as well as presents similar health risks to cigarette smoking. Part of what people think is nicotene effect from cigarettes and become psychologically dependent upon...the lightheaddedness...is actually the effect of CO which denies oxygen to the brain. Nicotene from puffing a pipe without inhaling is slower and takes more smoking to be felt. You aren't likely to feel it after just a few minutes. In the old days most codger pipesmokers had a pipe lit continually throughout the day, and the nicotene effect was cumulative.

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
I'm not a cigarette smoker, but I do enjoy strong cigars. Maybe that's led me to build up a small tolerance, or maybe I'm one of those naturally resistant fellows.
Or, maybe my alien parasite hasn't arrived yet.

kanse

Jul 9, 2016
How big is the bowl you smoke with?
Also give a shot to:

D&R Picayune

Any of the Black twists.
Maybe those will work for you.

kanse

Jul 9, 2016
That's quite tiny if I recall correctly.

You need a bit more girth to get a nic-hit

For me, it was when I really, really slowed down. It's usually about an hour into a bowl that I start to feel the effects of Virginias and VaPers, and it might be just half an hour into it that a stronger blend starts to knock on my door. Just puffing smoke into air does nothing, but really letting the smoke simmer and swirl about the tongue and mouth in faint wisps is what affects me. The longer it takes me to finish a bowl, the more the effects, but YMMV.

I love strong cigars too, same thing...

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I'm the complete opposite of the OP; I can smoke the heavy hitters but just not too much at one time. I have to be very careful not to overdose on the nicotine. I do in fact like the nicotine high as long as I don't go overboard.
So what's a nicotine OD like?
Well I start to break out into a cold sweat, dizziness and nausea overwhelm me, if it goes even further violent vomiting ensues and after about 20 minutes it's as if nothing had ever happened.
Not good, not why I smoke a pipe.
Fortunately it doesn't often happen anymore as I have learned to recognize the signs early enough to just put the pipe down and take a break for a half hour or so.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
Harvey,
Affect: Action verb, to cause an external difference in something.
Effect: Noun, a specific change of state resulting in a consequence.
The nicotine effect may affect some people more or less, depending on their tolerance and metabolism.

Jan 8, 2013
When I was a cigarette smoker, nicotine didn't seem to affect me at all. Now, I can smoke a pipe and get that nice buzz. Once or twice I've smoked something high in nicotine that knocked me on my butt.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Nada here as well, and I like a 50/50 mix of Black Twist XX, and ODF. Tastes like BBQ beef!

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Cosmic,
That delay was what got me. I'd get dizzy AFTER smoking, only part of the time, so I wasn't correlating it with the smoke. Once I got so dizzy I threw myself into a panic attack, and ended up in the emergency room, thinking it was a heart attack. My heart checked out fine, so they checked for a brain tumor. Thankfully, my brain was fine, too. Well, as fine as it ever was.
I've spent a lot of time in doctor's offices this past couple of months. Now we think I have an inner-ear problem, not caused, but made worse, by nicotine.
Anyway, being a former cigarette smoker, I was not used to nicotine hitting me that SLOWLY!
Well, that or the alien parasite!

lotharen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2016
@dottiewarden I had this happen recently (just after my surgery, unfortunately). I smoked some Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture and was very light headed, dizzy and within 45 minutes had violent vomiting. It was such uncomfortable feeling and I didn't smoke my pipe for several days. Now I'm to afraid to some anything Medium or Higher because I don't want a repeat of that awfulness. I've been sticking to mostly mild tobaccos.
Hope I can over come this.

kanse

Jul 9, 2016
lotharen

Maybe you just did not take so well to Latakia?

Elizabethan is not particularly strong.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I've been sticking to mostly mild tobaccos.
Problem here is there are just too many great tasting tobacco blends out there to be that limited. The idea is to smoke for 10 or 20 minutes and let the pipe go out. Take a half hour to an hour break and come back to your pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.