L. Vuitton? Dunhill Inner Tube, John Middleton? New to Pipes...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 8, 2012
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to pipe smoking and I am curious about a few pipes I just picked up at a flea market.

I believe two are Dunhills, I can read tube on one of them, but its hard to make out a lot of the other script... I also picked up a John Middleton Pipe? Stamped Phila since 1856, and 1 more which I am most curious about... It is stamped L. Vuitton with V on the stem? Again I am new to pipes and any info would be greatly appreciated! I will add pics of the other pipes this afternoon. Thanks! Also how do I attach pictures?

mb1mb

Might Stick Around
Oct 5, 2012
You have to upload them to a web hosting service like photobucket. There is a sticky at the top of the thread. Too lazy to link it up for you. Then copy the URL of your pics on the pic hosted site. Then click the tab labeled " IMG" and paste the copied URL. In the sub window.

Hope this helps. Can't wait to see the pics.

Oct 8, 2012
The script on the two Dunhills is very faint, but I will try to read what I can.

The first pipe pictured reads Dunhill in arched letters with London undernearth it in straight font. It has a Capital "A" to the left of the Dunhill London mark. On the right side of the pipe I can make out the word Tube" with a 60 to the far right close to the bowl. Underneath the tube writing I can only make out the last couple of characters and that is /12.
On the second Dunhill Dunhill London is on the left also and it is in straight font on the top and bottom. To the left of that is a Capital "R", on the right side I can make out US PAT and the rest is hard to see. It has a few numbers, but the easiest to read is by the bowl and that says T59.
Third is the L. Vuitton Pipe. Anyone know if that stem is repairable? Again I don't know much about pipes so any help is appreciated!

Pipes011.jpg

Pipes010.jpg

Pipes009.jpg

Pipes007.jpg

Pipes006.jpg

Pipes004.jpg

Pipes003.jpg

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Nice score, man. Any day you can find a couple - much less one Dunhill - at a flea market is a big damn deal.
The Louis Vuitton is interesting and hopefully someone more knowledgable will weigh in. If you don't know, Louis Vuitton is an uber high end manufacturer and marketer of true luxury goods: everything from clothing to jewelry to luggage to watches. Brother, the list goes on and on.
My guess would be that Louis Vuitton ordered high end pipes from a quality producer and had their name stamped on it. This would require some research but I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't have another Dunhill or something copmparable like a Saseni on your hands. Of course, the Vuitton just as easily could've come from an inexpensive burner factory in St. Claude.
Just because the name is so collectible I'd pay top dollar to get it restored. If it doesn't smoke well you can always find a specialty auction catering to the Louis Vuitton collectors and underwrite PAD/TAD for the next five years or so.
Again, nice catch.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
It looks like you have some real oldies. I attached a very good site for dating Dunhill pipes. The L. Vuitton may be from the early 20th century. I am sure that a skilled pipe repair person can salvage the stem. I could not find out much info on Vuitton but I'd be willing to bet that it was made in St. Claude,France.

The Middleton pipe was probably a promotional item. Middleton was founded in Philly and now produces pipe tobacco in Amish country in Pa.

Neat finds; good luck with them.
http://www.rdfield.com/Articles/A%20Dunhill%20Pipe%20Dating.htm

pipewife

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2012
The only thing Google found on the JM pipes is a stub on pipedia that says some stamped "Made in London" were manufactured by Comoy in the 1930s. I scored two in an e(vil)Bay estate lot - one a bent John Middleton signature and the other a sterling silver tipped stemless straight pipe only stamped JM, but neither with the Comoy-made extra mark on them. I have no idea how old these are or who made these two, but have smoked the bent sig pipe and LOVE it.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Those patent Dunhill pipes go from $150-300 on eBay. The others I don't know. I'd send the dunnies to Walker Briar Works for restoring. Quite a find and ones you'll be very proud to keep!

russ

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2012
LOL! vintagecycle49 has the Louis Vuitton up on the bay for 10 grand.
Look at the write up they have for HAHAH!

ONE OF A KIND VINTAGE TURN OF THE CENTURY LOUIS VUITTON DESIGNER TOBACCO PIPE. I ACQUIRED THIS FINE TOBACCO PIPE AT AN ESTATE AUCTION IN MANHATTAN, NEW YORK CITY AND IT HAS BEEN ONE OF THE FINEST PIECES IN MY COLLECTION. I TOOK THIS PIPE TO TOBACCIANA EXPERTS IN NEW YORK, NEW YORK & PHILADELPHIA PENNSYLVANIA AND THEIR JAWS DROPPED TO THE FLOOR. LOUIS VUITTON COMMISONED HIGH END PIPE MAKERS, SUCH AS DUNHILL TO MAKE TOBACCO PIPES IN VERY SMALL QUANTITIES FOR THE HIGH END LUXURY COMPANY. WE COMPARED THE PIPE TO SOME EARLY DUNHILL INNER TUBE PIPES. AGAIN THIS PIPE IS JUST FABULOUS AND I CAN GUARANTEE YOU WILL BE THE ONLY ONE WITH THIS IN YOUR COLLECTION! THE PIPE IS OVER 100 YEARS OLD AND IN GREAT SHAPE FOR THE AGE. THE STEM WILL NEED TO BE REPAIRED IF YOU WANT TO SMOKE IT, BUT THE BOWL IS IN GREAT SHAPE AND NEEDS NOTHING.
PLEASE ASK ANY QUESTIONS PRIOR TO BIDDING. ALL SALES ARE FINAL. INSURANCE WILL BE ADDED TO THE TOTAL PRICE AT THE END OF THE SALE. NO RETURNS OR REFUNDS.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-VINTAGE-LOUIS-VUITTON-TOBACCO-PIPE-BY-DUNHILL-INNER-TUBE-WOW-DESIGNER-PIPE-/160912940457?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2577289da9

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
And some idiot with more money than sense would probably fall for this.....
The OP is definitely a used car salesman, or has been at some point in time.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Yep. Just learned a pretty good lesson here.
No more free evaluations to newbs with 1 post.
Vintagecycle49 is a dick and Theeantiquequeen is a dickette.
Thanks for making me feel so good about myself, Russ.
Nobody is going to shell out 10 large for that burner, Romeo. (Repaired and polished: maybe 1K on a good day at the auction house, but not ten thousand.) LV collectors are passionate but they're not stupid. Stupid people don't drop 2500 for a used purse or 15,000 for a 100 year old steamer trunk.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
It's on sale now for only $3,0000. What a bargain!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-VINTAGE-LOUIS-VUITTON-TOBACCO-PIPE-BY-DUNHILL-INNER-TUBE-WOW-DESIGNER-PIPE-/160918152523?

helm

Lurker
Nov 1, 2012
WOW, all I can say is wow.
It truly is sorry to see someone take advantage of the kindness of this site to such a degree.
I hope this doesn't give us newer members a bad reputation since I truly appreciate all the helpful people on this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.