PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
As many of you know, highly respected and well known pipe hobbyist Anthony Soderman (Mr. Can), is an attorney and has been working with law enforcement officials in the Houston, Texas area in the locating and capturing of pipe and tobacco scam artist Kyle Black. I, along with some other hobbyists, received the following email from Tony last night. I have had to delete a few details to protect the names of law enforcement officials who have been working undercover. Although we probably won't be rid of Kyle Black forever, at least the heat is now on him. Tony's email -
Dear Gentlemen:
Unbelievable! In 45 years of law practice I have NEVER witnessed anything like this. But, success is ours! And we all owe an incredible, deep debt of gratitude to our Buddy and fellow pipe collector, (deleted).
[And, I am inserting this paragraph. As I finished this e-mail I received a phone call from Kyle Black's former fiancée, (deleted). She got my phone number from someone online. And I thought you might like to know a little background on Kyle Black. His fiancée met him when he was becoming a Marine in San Diego two or three years ago. They have a child together and moved to the Houston area together when Kyle Black was dishonorably discharged. He is a pipe smoker. While in California he was involved in various pipe scams and she sees him as a dedicated criminal who likes to make money the easy way. In the past, he used her name on eBay and she was kicked off eBay owing money he collected in her name. He now lives with his new girlfriend, Lauryn Francis, who has been arrested two or three times for theft. And his "ex" considers him to be the most "skilled manipulator" she has met. She is trying to take him to court to deal with custody and Family Court issues.]
Here is what has happened in our case. After an earlier conversation with Kyle Black's father, last Friday (deleted) started having conversations with Kyle Black himself. Black had countless excuses for everything that happened but was eager to "work things out" short of spending a weekend in the loving, affectionate care of other inmates in the Houston Jail. (In other words, he valued his bunghole more than his money. :)
(deleted) provided him with dollar amounts and a list of items missing and gave him until the close of business on Friday to confirm restitution. Black called him back and asked for more time. On Saturday, Black left a message for (deleted) assuring him that restitution was underway but could not be completed Saturday.
12 conversations later, on Monday Kyle Black says he complied with law enforcement officials demands. He claims to have borrowed money from his father (who Black's ex-fianceé says is honest and a "retired oilman" who no doubt also wishes to avoid a visit to the jail himself). On Tuesday, tracking numbers were provided to law enforcement. Whether or not success will actually be realized will be known starting tomorrow when deliveries should begin.
The only problem is the possibility that Kyle Black is also conning law enforcement officials. The very first contact anyone had with Kyle Black was a scam that had a similar ending. After a successful $1,500 2-pipe transaction, one seller bought and paid for four pipes totaling $3500. Kyle Black sent him a box with four pipes in the box using insured, priority mail with signature confirmation. (This is similar to what Layne demanded of Black.) The only problem is that the four pipes in the delivered, signed for package were brand-new Dr Grabow's! So signing for and getting an envelope may not include payment. But let us hope the imaginary smiling faces of other inmates in the Houston Jail are enough to deter further fraud!
From this point, we are on our own as far as eBay selling is concerned. I know that Kyle Black is still active on eBay. He bought a pipe from Mike Reschke, delayed payment and never paid. (Mike did not send the pipe.) And as of late as Sunday, Kyle Black bought more tobacco from Ralph Webb and as of yesterday had not paid and was using the same excuses he gave Mike Reschke two weeks earlier.
Black provided a new address, too:
kyle Black

2427 Saddlebred Ln

Manvel, TX 77578-3556

United States

(832) 340-8896
Ralph Webb checked and believes that is a vacant address (which is consistent with law enforcement investigation, too.) The ex-fiancée says that it is Kyle Black's father's new home recently built.
An interesting footnote is that because of earlier e-mails warning him, Ralph Webb had already blocked Kyle Black from bidding in his auctions. Black used his girlfriend's user ID: lauyrn000francis
And while Pipestud and other top sellers on eBay have been warned, now is the time to circulate further warnings to all of your friends inclined to sell on eBay. Kyle Black used an entirely different name ("Anthony Combs") when scamming other sellers. And given the success he had in our small niche on eBay, we can expect him to continue. Getting the word out is the only way for future protection.
From those of you getting something back from Kyle Black, be sure to let me know what you receive from Kyle Black. I will report back to Houston law enforcement after I hear from those getting money back
Thanks again for your cooperation!
Tony

guhrillastile

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2013
I'm a little confused. He has been found, and given chance to make right. Then not complied? But now not in custody or charged?

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
He has through today to repay everyone who has been scammed. If restitution is not made, he will again be taken into custody and formal charges filed against him. Restitution is the quickest way to get those conned paid back and will prevent the expense of running Black through the court system with costly litigation and charges filed and depositions taken from a dozen pipe collectors located all over the country.
Pipestud

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks for the update pipestud - lets hope this plague on the pipe community is gotten rid of for good.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Dear Forum Moderators,
I just had a phone conversation with Kyle Black's father. He is understandably upset at what has been done to the pipe community by his son and is, in fact, aiding in the restitution process. He is able to access this forum and saw my post. He asked very politely if all references to himself and the address that Tony included in his letter be deleted because the address listed is actually his (Kyle Black's father) address and he prefers as much anonymity as possible.
I should have edited out that information myself when posting Tony's original letter and apologize for any inconvenience caused on my part.
Thanks,
Pipestud

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
This guy is a piece of human waste. If he does what he's suppose to I'll be very surprised. I think he just gained extra time to disappear.

briar

Lurker
Sep 18, 2013
Good Morning
This is Kyle BLack. I probably shouldn't show my face here, but I understand what I have done, and how I handled or didn't handle things.
I have watched the previous posts about me, head hung low, and pissed at noone but myself. I didn't say anything because I knew I was in the wrong. However, when things that are untrue are said, I will step in.
First off, my father had nothing to do with all of this, aside from helping me get it straightened out. Leah Borba, my ex fiance and the mother of my daughter, has made some outrageous claims, out of spite for us breaking up and me keeping my daughter for a period of six months, when things became more important to her, than her daughter.
I met Leah, in Camp Pendleton California, when I was stationed there. In 2009, we left california, with our things in the back of my Navigator, headed for Galveston Texas, to 4th AAV Unit, Bravo company, 3rd platoon, where I continued to be station until 2012. So her claim of a Dishonorable discharge is false. In 2011, we had a daughter,Madyson, and at the time I was working for a company, testing crude oil for some of the biggest companies in the world, pay was alright, and I picked up some OT to make ends meet with having a daughter, $1500 rent payment, two vehicles, and the usual expenses, while Leah stayed home to take care of our daughter. Long story short, things didn't work out, we split up, and I started dating Lauryn Francis.
Lauryn was not a good influence on me down the road, but I am not blaming her for anything I have done or didn't do.
I started smoking a pipe, in 2010/2011 (either December or January) When Leah's mom was down, and bought me my first pipe, from the Smoke Ring in Webster Texas. I am still good friends with Chris, the manager, who sold me my first pipe. So leah's claim that I smoked a pipe in California and stole $3500 from a law enforcement official is false. I know that doesn't mean shit coming from me, but I know that to be untrue. Leah is mad, because we are going to court. Last year, she tried to commit suicide with my daughter present. She drank a couple bottles of wine, took half a bottle of some Anti-depressants she had been prescribed. I was there and she told me what she did, Iheld her down and called 911, in Webster Texas at our apartment. She was taken to the Psychaitric hold at St. John's Hospital. I picked her up the next morning. Throughout the next 7 months of the rest of 2012, she failed to meet obligations to pick up her child, in the end costing me my job, where I was making good money and adding experience to my career. Numerous times she failed to wake up to meet me before work to get her child, or lied and said she couldn't get her in the evening because she was working. Slowly I figured out she was drinking, lost her job because of it. I took my daughter in March of 2013, and would not let her see her, for six months. In July, I let my daughter go back to Leah, where she has kept her for 2 months now, out of spite. Fast forward to last night, where she got mad at me, for telling her that we can let the courts decide. She is a waitress/bartender, who works nights, and my 2 year old daughter goes to different people and different homes 6 nights a week, until 11pm, where she gets woken up to go to her moms apartment. Leah cannot get an apartment on her own, so she is forced to have a roommate. I pointed it out to her last night that a judge doesn't approve of that living situation, in comparison to a recognized daycare, from 8-4 monday throught friday, and being at her own home with a parent in the evening. When I said that, basically all hell broke loose, and that led her to make false statements to try to get back at me and make her look good in court. Again, that is for the court to decide.
I have sent payments to the gentlemen I owe money to. They should have them today. In full, for what they claimed/demanded. I was never arrested or charged. I was contacted by a gentleman named Layne. There are no excuses for anything, and this probably won't mean a thing to anyone. When my daughter gets brought into the picture, and I get painted in a false light, I will step up and say something. Leah Borba is a mother who is trying to get back at me in any way possible for custody of my daughter. I guess this is a new low.
I am ashamed of things I have or haven't done. Truly am. It isn't in character for me, and I made some terrible decisions, and I guess the saying choose your friends wisely, stands true here. I did surround myself around a person that had a terrible influence on me. I am not blaming that person, I will blame myself, as I am a grown person free and capable of making my own decisions. My fault and my fault alone.
I really wouldn't normally say anything, as there would be nothing to say but sorry. But in this case, things were said that are completely not true. I just wanted to clarify that. It may not mean shit to anyone, but it does to me.
The things that Steve Fallon has posted here, are not the least bit correct. I am not blaming Steve, as his informaiton came from someone else. But that person, Leah, is trying to get back at me for leaving her, and for fighting for custody of our daughter. I respect Steve and Marty for pointing out things that were done and bringing them to light, because now they are fixed, lesson learned, payments made.
As to Marty Pulvers, Jud Perlson, and Mike Glukler, resitution has been sent. It all should arrive today, possibly tomorrow. I am not expecting to clear my name, or paint a pretty picture, but if that painting of me is going to be ugly as hell, then at least make it correct. Again, I am not asking to be cleared of anything, but when things are said that are false, I will say my part on that, to clarify. As to others things, that were said and done, I can't say anything that adds to it, and I have no rebuttal. A simple sorry, and a promise to disappear from the community, once and for all. I won't quit smoking a pipe, but I think I need to take my pipe, light a bowl, and go figure out myself and things I have done.
Kyle Black

3520 Nasa Parkway #94

Seabrook Texas

832-340-8896

briar

Lurker
Sep 18, 2013
Also, I am not disappearing or running from the law. I work at a Maritime facility, with TWIC restricted access. I have not been picked up on anything. If they wanted to arrest me, I promise you they would know where I am at considering I have to use a government issued I.D. clearance to get in and out of work. They know where I am, where I work, where I live. I would never run from the law. Aside from this issue, I have never had a legal issue, aside from a traffic ticket I forgot to pay for in Webster, hence the "mugshot" for my $250 fine.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
You Sir are an excuse makeing piece of Trash, I feel sorry for the people you".ve scammed, your Father who is an honorable man. You are the type that will be makeing excuses till you are in the Grave. Do us a favor and don"t put your Slime on our Forum

Reactions: anotherbob

briar

Lurker
Sep 18, 2013
tbradsim1
Understood, again, I expected this reaction, knew it would be coming, but again, I will clear up whatever is said that isn't true.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I expect that you will "forsee" any reaction. In an interesting attempt to somehow save face. I applaud your lawyer on telling you to not make any admissions, by saying you are sorry about anything you did or didn't do. The fact alone you have to pay restiution means that you did something wrong. Paying the amount they "claimed/demanded". so apparently you dispute the amount you had to pay them back? Sounds like someone got a demand letter, stating fix this or we will have to file charges, probably civil.
Its to bad that things are not agreeable between you and your childs mother but pointing out her bad points and things she said wrong doesn't aleviate what you have done. You have broken trust with many and you have to deal with it, and just that. Either you are ashemed and sorry or you aren't. Sticking around to save face and "clear" your name is a waste of time.
Now if you promised to smoke mixture 79 for a year to atone for your sins, that would get you some respect.

briar

Lurker
Sep 18, 2013
I know that my word means nothing, I expect and deserve that.
I wasn't attempting to clear my name, just clarify that the things stated by Leah Borba and referenced here are untrue.

I am sorry. Don't expect nor deserve my name to be cleared, but when things that are untrue are said, I will state my side of it.
I have never had mixture 79, but would gladly smoke it. However, I know this is way past smoking some terrible bowls of tobaco.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
Here are great number of nonsensical insults:

Thanks for making me feel better about my own problems, you scruffy headed nerfherder.May the giant spagetti monster place its judgement on you.If art imitates life, you'd be a black velvet painting. I'd get more pleasure from running my nostrils down a cactus, than talking with you.You are as charming as a dead mouse in a loaf of bread.Cockalorum.Please sit down and take a mess off your feet.If your conscience could be surgically removed, it would be a minor operation.I wish your charm could be bottled--then a cork could be put in it.You appear to be the culmination of years of major genetic mishaps.Errant, folly-fallen,codpiece.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Kyle, I have seen scam artists like you come and go. You are not sorry and you have no remorse, you are trying to weasel your way out of jail time is all. If for some reason your father has bailed you out this time, I am positive you will rob other people because that is what you do. You are a professional thief, this is what you do for a living. You will end up in jail and stop trying to prey on people's sense of decency. You have no decency and I pity your daughter, no child should have scum like you for a father.
Steve, you guys are dreaming if you think this guy will make restitution and stop trying to rob people. You need to put him in jail for the sake of every pipe smoker out there.

briar

Lurker
Sep 18, 2013
With all due respect Harris,
Who are you to say anything? Do you have any idea how many transactions I have completed with no issue what so ever? I work for a living. I don't go through life trying to rob people. Are you in my head, reading thoughts and emotions? Didn't think so. There is only so much that can be said through a post online. If you feel better saying things concerning a two year old little girl, then so be it. You have more to handle with yourself then I could dream of.
And again, say what you want, but you know nothing of my daughter, or me as a father. Personal attacks, where you bring in a child are kind of low, you think? My father didn't "bail" me out. He helped to take care of some things.
Pity whoever you please, but make sure you know what the hell you're talking about.

-With as much respect as I can give someone who brings a child into this-

Status
Not open for further replies.