PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I've seen some relatively cheap briar pipes being sold new under the brand KSI and G.G.
Was hoping some folks might be able to attest to their quality or otherwise.

spyder71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2011
I have seen a couple KSI's that look good so hopefully we get a good answer to you query :)

smooth

Might Stick Around
Jan 10, 2012
Many of my 'cheap' pipes are now over 35 years old and have been smoked by me at least once a week since new.
Guess that'll teach me to buy overpriced stuff.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Hmm, I'm a fan of "good pipes bought cheaply".
Yeah, different critter entirely than "cheap briar pipes". Pipes sold under the name of a local smoke shop - at least, back when there were lots more B&M pipe shops - were often pretty decent, and not exorbitantly priced. They slotted between drugstore pipes and bigger name machine mades. (Just like department stores used to carry "house brand" clothing that was of very good quality, and less expensive than designer.) I've got a couple from Iwan Ries, and a couple more from local pipe shops, that fit that bill.
Good quality does not have to be expensive! :puffy:

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
I think that Edwards made a lot of "house" pipes for local B&M stores. I can vouch for the Benton Huskys that I have from them, they are a good cheap pipe. If makers today put out that level of pipe with the same quality briar it would be a 70-80 dollar pipe IMO.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Hey Heryclay,
I also have a Benton Husky. It took me some calling around, but I finally found out that it was from Edward's. And like you said, it is a great pipe. I wish more of my inexpensive pipes were of the same quality.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I think I might try a Cayuga from Paul's Pipe Shop in Flint sometime. They make their own, as I understand it. :puffy:

smooth

Might Stick Around
Jan 10, 2012
I exported smoking pipes and other items and lines to the USA back in the '70s from Germany, where I was living at the time. The pipe company I chose to deal with had very good quality pipes at very good prices, especially since I was buying in volume at wholesale prices.
At that time I knew who made which type or line, who carved which face, and which "fad" pipes to not keep myself, but just move on to those who ordered them.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
GG might stand for Golden Gate, a brand from the Ukraine. I have two pipes from them and enjoy them.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Buy decent pipes from a good carver(preferably a handsome bearded older gent from West Central Wisconsin). To be serious though buy the best you can afford. You will pass them on the grandsons.

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
I purchased a KSI yesterday, and I like it. I had an option of about eight pipes in a shop. I needed a pipe badly. I was a bit reluctant at first, but decided to buy it. $50, and I'm happy with it. I've only been smoking for about a month and a half, so my opinion may not be as knowledgeable as someone who's been smoking longer than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.