PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
This is in no way a review, other than to say that this VA flake is truly outstanding. It is blended by Reiner Will exclusively for Brigham. The slices are a mix of golden and brown virginia and the tin aroma has a nice honey scent, though it is all natural as there is no topping on this one. The flakes have a perfect moisture content and burn perfectly right from the tin. This blend has sung in every pipe I have tried it in. To my palate, it is a much better flake than Capstan Blue or even Dunhill Flake.
I strongly recommend you try this one - it has been selling out in hours recently, so apparently I'm not the only one who thinks that this is great stuff. Smokingpipes just got a shipment in today and there is still some left, so don't wait - go directly to http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/Brigham/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=124055 and order one to try. I guarantee that if you have any interest in VA flakes you won't be disappointed.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I've got 2 tins in the cellar. I was unimpressed the the acadian blend, so this one fell off the radar. Might have to give it a shot. Thanks for the heads up!

Dec 24, 2012
Undoubtedly you are right about the supply chain, though as Brian Levine commented on a recent thread the stuff available now has already been aged at least two years (in Brigham's warehouse), so my worry would be that eventually they will burn through their supply and the pre-aged stuff will no longer be available. Food for thought.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The reason that this blend has been out of stock is because Peck told me about it and said it was great. My first order was 17 tins site unseen. The reason I had such faith is because R.Will is a genius, the tobacco is already aged 2-3 years in the tin and Peck does have decent taste in flakes. I am done loading up on it as I added another 75 tins for a total of 92 for the cellar, to me it is that good. It has a good supply chain because I have now received 4 in stock notifications from SP on this one. I did not order any today when I got the notice, probably why it is still in stock. lol Also Peck has about 125 tins of this in stock so he is also the cause of shortages.
I believe Capstan Blue will taste similar to this blend in 2-3 years, as they are similar. I recently opened a 3 year old tin of Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug and it is also similar to the KG. It is just a great tasting, sweet flake. It comes ready to smoke and it burns great.

Dec 24, 2012
I don't have 125 tins in my cellar, but I am working on it. Not all of us can buy flakes in the same quantities as you do Harris.
I hope Capstan Blue gets as good as the Klondike is now. I followed the pied piper on the Capstan Blue chase, and frankly, I have been fairly disappointed by the one tin of Capstan Blue I have smoked so far. To me, the Klondike is a way better flake, and I am always reaching for it. Could it just be the age? I hope so, because I have a lot of the Blue in the cellar. All I know is that I can't seem to get enough of the Klondike.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Peck, I've had the same experience with Capstan Blue. Had one amazing smoke, ever since it's been kinda...meh. Lots of flakes I prefer more.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Peck, You buy in 125 tin lots at a time, I hear you have 18 wheelers delivering your stash. lol
I have smoked almost 3 tins of the Blue and really enjoy it, I normally smoke it as a first of the day smoke. I have found that Dublins and Rhodesians smoke it best and I do pack it pretty firmly. Since I got my first order of KG, I have reached for it more than the Blue as the age of it makes a difference.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
That stuff sounds good. We must have a couple of millionares for members buying 50 to 100 tins at a time, dang. I'll just keep telling myself that my estate pipes and bags of bulk are as good as artisan pipes and well aged tin's until I know the difference.
But in all seriousness I think it is essentially that people are able to purchase high end in quantity and quality. I beleive it allows the artists (blenders and pipe makers) to practice and advance their craft.
Thanks for the heads up on some good tobacco.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck, I have nothing against the all American cob for smoking shags and ribbon cuts of burley's like Carter Hall, but for my flakes they do nothing for them. Now someone of your alleged taste and distinction should know this and have tried a briar pipe with your Blue before dissing an all world blend. Let me know how it smokes in one of your 5000.00 Jess Chonowitsch pipes.

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
I just ordered a few tins of KG, and I'm excited to try it (hat tip to Harris).I will never be in a position to order my favorite tobacco in large quantities (three kids on on a college professor's salary!), so be kind and leave a few tins for me.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
future, I predict you are going to love this one. Peck does get all the credit if you hate it, I get the credit if you love it. You should not have a problem with supply as Peck and I are done cellaring it.
Just tell your kids that college will have to take a back seat until your cellar is complete, I am sure they will understand. lol

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
I am on my fourth bowl of this flake. It is very nice. I am still trying to perfect my flake smoking technique. I've experienced a little bite, but the flavor really starts to come through after about the first 1/5 or so of the bowl. Thanks all for the recommendation!

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
I am on my fourth bowl of this flake. It is very nice. I am still trying to perfect my flake smoking technique. I've experienced a little bite, but the flavor really starts to come through after about the first 1/5 or so of the bowl. Thanks all for the recommendation!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
future, if you are getting any bite from the Gold, then it has to be your technique. That flake is as bite free as any I have ever smoked. Try slowing down and also check your packing. I pack my cubed flakes pretty tightly. I make sure I have some good resistance before lighting up. If you pack too loose, it can burn hot and bite you. I always check my draw before lighting up even to this day and always make sure it is tight enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.