PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
Wandering into a "Junk Shop" I spotted a Kirsten pipe on the counter. The previous owner had used a pliers to loosen or remove the valve judging by the marks on the valve and body. The bowl did not have the pipe screw to attach it to the shank. I brought it home and called Kirsten in Seattle to order a bowl and the metal parts. Sadly they had only "o" rings in stock. The plant was closed and they have not made a decision as to opening it again.
kirsten-150x112.jpg

I have made a pipe screw and cleaned up the shank and bowl. The stem still needs some cleaning as you can see from the picture.
This is my first Kirsten. It felt heavy and I did not think it would be a good clincher. However, the stem very comfortable and the feel clinched is good.
I loaded it and fired it up. It smokes find cool and dry as advertised. I will probable sell it soon.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
They are good to smoke and I do like how they are easy to clean up. Just push tissue through the shank/body with the ram rod on the stem and a cleaner through the stem and you are good to go.
Your Kirsten looks very clean Uber. Mine is a beater. I like it but may better half thinks they are ugly. She does not like the Viking I picked up also. Traditionalist I guess.

yachtexplorer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2010
Wherever the boat is moored
I spend the winters just north of Seattle. Kirsten pipes do smoke cool and dry but genereraly are not very pretty.
I have several including one with a freehand bowl carved by the original Mr. Kirsten and another with a custom strait grain bowl.
kirsten2p.jpg

kirsensf.jpg

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Your Kirsten looks very clean Uber. Mine is a beater. I like it but may better half thinks they are ugly. She does not like the Viking I picked up also.

I had mine restored for me. It was kind of beat up as well. My girlfriend doesn't like it, but she does like my

Falcon.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Your Kirsten looks very clean Uber. Mine is a beater. I like it but may better half thinks they are ugly. She does not like the Viking I picked up also.

I had mine restored for me. It was kind of beat up as well. My girlfriend doesn't like it, but she does like my

Falcon.
@yachtexplorer

I really like the look of the bowl on that first Kirsten.

Status
Not open for further replies.