PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Hi hi,
When I got into pipe smoking I was pleasantly surprised to learn that Seattle had contributed to the pipe world with a lovely 50's era aluminum pipe from a former Boeing engineer. I snapped up a couple and then learned that my police friends all think I am smoking weed when they see me with one... but I was not deterred! I continued to get them here and there, and with Steve Fallon's Youth Diabetes fund raiser last weekend, I have brought my collection up to 6. (latest one is smooth meer bowled one in lower left corner).
They smoke great and now people like Don Warren make extra bowls, so they are a great investment.
Here are mine, where are yours?:
1430451028397-600x337.jpg

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I have only one aluminum pipe. Some call it a 'bat'. Other than that, aluminum doesn't appeal to me.

That they are unique and collectible and that you've got some obviously nice smokers there makes for an interesting consideration.

They're versatile as shown, yet, their 'industrial' aspects don't appeal to me, or maybe, 'offend' me.

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
Those pipes remind me of the ones I use to smoke weed out of back in the early 90's. I saw one at the antique store and it brought back so many memories I wanted to buy it. The wife however was not amused so I bought the Dr Grabow Silver Duke instead. I still think I may sneak out and get it just for old time sake. :D

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Yeah, Hunter... I have a feeling the average guy couldn't afford to keep that sort of Kirsten for long... lol

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
Hunter, how in he world did you get a pic of my wife? I thought I deleted all those off of my cp

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I'm a Seattle native, and of all the pipes I collect, Kirstens are what I smoke most often. I really hope at least some posters don't mind my long, rambling post.
Here's my Kirsten display, made from a 1930s wooden wall shelf with wires added to clip pipes and hold bowls. It took a few years to fill it all up; it originally held three pipes and ten bowls, but ended up with five pipes and nineteen bowls.

W7mgNHe.jpg

The logo was cut from a mid-00s Kirsten catalog. I cut one up for a logo, gave a few away, then realized I neglected to keep one, by which time the store had run out and wasn't making more! If anybody has one, I'd love to get hold of one.
Pipes are:

-- New black Esquire (medium full-bent) with gray stem, currently with a briar Dynasty-shape bowl.

-- New silver Mariner (medium quarter-bent) with brown stem, currently with a 1960s smooth meer Mandarin bowl.

-- Vintage antiqued "Heritage" brass-copper Lancer (medium straight) with black twin-bore stem, currently with MM cob bowl.

-- Vintage polished silver M (medium straight) with black stem, no O-rings, "pats. & pats. applied for," currently with a MM cob bowl.

-- Vintage antiqued "Heritage" silver Designer (large full-bent) with brown stem, with custom freehand plateau bowl; this was one of several made in the 70s or 80s for local big names in the tobacco world, in this case for Paul Reasoner, original owner of the now-closed Tukwila Tinder Box, my 'home' store for years (has his name etched on the side).
Extra bowls:

-- The cob bowls were featured on the 1969 Kirsten catalog. They were made for Kirsten by Missouri Meerschaum (who have no records of this, that they can find) for only that one year.

-- The meer bowls are not the modern Turkish-made ones the Kirsten shop sold, but vintage ones circa 1962. Gene Kirsten bought block from Turkey before the export ban and created them. I've got five, one smooth, the rest "staghorn" (a wormlike hand carving) and one with little stipples or dimples in the staghorn. The Kirsten shop still has many of these in stock for $30 each, and I threw together some shop display racks (see below.)

-- The Billard shapes are discontinued, they're down on the bottom along with a tiny 1950s Kaywoodie-made bowl (they have a few of those left, too!)

-- The rest are in every shape I know of: Mandarin, Dynasty (Mandarin with inward-sloped rim), Brandy, Columbus (like a Brandy with higher hips), Bulldog, and the discontinued Tulip and Tyrolean, in all manner of finishes. The two briars up top are a Tulip (L) and Tyrolean(R). Back right is a vintage hand-carved Mandarin, and front-and-center is an odd staghorn Mandarin dyed a mottled wine-purple with hints of metallic gold.
I also have a Kirsten cigar holder in silver. I'd really love to find a gold one, or some of the Kirsten cigarette holders, which came in silver and at least 4 anodized colors (I believe them to be gold, green, blue and red). Kirsten also made sets of corn-on-the-cob holders.
Though Kirsten pipes aren't currently in production, the owner is working, if a bit slowly, on getting it started up again. They made a megaton of parts, sold 'em for years, then when they began to run out, found out their trained machinists had retired. The company nearly shut down, and one family member grabbed it and took over running the downtown shop (the old one in Ballard shut after the rent got raised or something like that).
Being a regular customer, I was told they get people clamoring for Kirsten pipes, or even parts. And the shop has a bunch of bowls. But there's so little display space that they're stored in eggcrates, stacked inside two big boxes in the storage closet. If you don't see them and don't think to ask, you might never know they have 'em. I had a brainstorm and offered to throw together some display racks. These were made using wooden ceiling molding; the concave side fits against the rounded pillars of their display cases, and the two 'back' sides hold staggered rows of brass hooks, dipped in a liquid rubberizing solution so they don't scratch the bowls.
1960s meerschaum:

29Wq7PT.jpg

One of two racks of assorted modern and vintage briar, with two Kaywoodies at the bottom:

Z2E50HU.jpg

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Jonas,
Thank you very much for sharing that awesome collection. I will now put visiting the Kirsten store on my to do list!
~Wyf

antbauers

Jul 12, 2013
Great collection! It's wonderful to see people like yourself and the owners striving to keep this brand alive.
Thanks for sharing the information and all the pictures and descriptions!

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Here's mine, along with a Grabow Viking. The Kirsten is marked "made in USA. G.

I might gird my loins to go to visit the Kirsten store, but Seattle always makes me crabby.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
LoL! I live in Tacoma and Seattle makes me grumpy too. I make forays into SODO for Seahawks or Sounders events and the occasional trip to Pike's or the Seattle Center.
I never linger.

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Plateauguy, yours is a "Gem." I quite like Seattle, I never mild being there-- but then, I also don't drive, so I don't get to deal with traffic.
Sizes are-- excluding 1st-gen models--

Straights:

"G" Gem (mini)

"J" Jewel (small)

"S" Sportsman (small)

"M" Mariner (medium)

"L" Lancer (large)
¼-bents:

"A" Aladdin (mini)

"H" Horizon (small)

"V" Vagabond (small)

"C" Cavalier (medium)

"T" Tyrolean (large)

"R" Regent (large)
Full-bents:

"B" Beau Geste (mini)

"W" Westerner (small)

"P" Premier (medium)

"E" Esquire (medium)

"F" Firesider" (large)

"D" Designer (large)
Some pipes have two letters. "B" denotes black. "X" has referred to the modern matte brass, and to antique copper, antique silver ("Heritage"), and antique brass ("Traditional"). Matte silver doesn't have a letter suffix.
The early 1st-gen. pipes are "S" (small), "M" (medium), "L" (large), and "A" (Aristocrat, extra-large) and are polished silver, a finish which, I believe, lasted into the 60s or 70s. The cigar holders seem to have come in polished silver, polished brass and matte silver, and I believe the cigarette holders (in three lengths: S 3 1/8", M 4 1/4", and L 5") came in polished silver, possibly gold plate, and four anodized colors (I suspect gold, red, blue and green).

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Incidentally, according to Kirsten's owner, Don Warren, at first, tried to sell his bowls as actual Kirsten work. He also tried to sell them TO Kirsten, at high prices, and was turned down. They are nice-looking, and thankfully he's now representing them as his own work. He's doing freehand ones, too; the only genuine Kirsten freehands were a series of 100 or so, made in the late 70s-early 80s, most of which were gifted to various pipe industry people (I've seen two show up for sale).

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Yeah, Hunter... I have a feeling the average guy couldn't afford to keep that sort of Kirsten for long... lol
Afford her? Wyfbane, I could not even keep her lit! :D
I am watching some Kirstens on E-bay this week. But these pics on here are intimidatingly awesome!

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Good luck on those auctions. More Kirstens in the gang makes me happy and offends Newbroom. This amuses me so it's a double win. :lol:

samrvior

Lurker
Dec 2, 2012
I have 6 so far, while only three are being smoked on a regular basis, I could not attach the photo of my small collection.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I found a Kirsten Mariner at my local antique shop last weekend. I almost didn't buy it because it looked like somewhat of a chore to take apart and clean. That it was! Luckily I found plenty of help on this site and at reborn pipes. This one will be on display next to my Vikings and my Aero Kool metal pipes.
Kirsten%20pipe_zpsplemsvcp.jpg

Thought I'd throw in this cool ad:
kirsten%2001_zpseypzuohk.jpg

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Excellent buy, tuold! If neither the valve nor the stem have rubber O-rings, it's a 1st-generation model, which says it may not be a Mariner, but a Medium. I think actual model names came after 1st-gen. pipes.
Wyfbane, just gotta give Seattle a chance! Some great places to go. Good cocktail spots, some good shops, and of course the Kirsten shop and Rain City Cigars, two excellent little tobacconists (though Tacoma has thew Tinder Box, probably the best tobacco & pipe shop in Washington).
Since my display photo was taken, I acquired another bowl, a Columbus shape 70s model with a staghorn carving that has a vibe which could look either Northwest Native or tiki.

Status
Not open for further replies.