PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yeah, like this. You can try new seals, but I have had better luck with screw on lids.
10062347HermeticCanningJarSq2.1qt_x.jpg

samw74

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2017
New York , NY
I no longer use rubber seal jars. They’re not ideal for long term aging. I recommend Ball or Kerr mason jars using bands and lids. I’ve opened up tobacco that was jarred over 10+ years ago, and the tobacco was in prestine condition. They also sell replacement lids and bands for a couple of bucks.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
For long term, the bail tops are not good as noted above.
However, I do use the small Kilner bailtops sometimes for regular rotation bulk blends. For example, Bob’s Chocolate Flake is a common blend for me and I just keep it in a Kilner and smoke it down.

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
what was the reason for not using bail top jar with rubber seal? Was it going to make the tobacco to dry? or maybe that's not air tight? I already buying those kind of jar for cellaring :(

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I found that the seal on those wasn't the greatest, and the tobacco inside was drying out too much. I never kept any blends in there for cellaring purposes, just to take some out to use in lieu of having an open tin.
With a good mason or Bernadin jar, there is no danger of that if the lid is tight enough.

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
I have to agree with others that the bail tops tend to fail for long term aging. I have even had tobaccos dry out with short term storage. I too prefer the Mason or Ball type screw on lid jars for short and long term storage. Cost wise I don’t think they can be beat.

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
the tobacco inside was drying out too much
I have even had tobaccos dry out with short term storage
Will the humidity play the factor here? I think Indonesia is more humid than USA. I'll hope those bail top jars will bring no issue for the tobacco for I've invested some tobacco in those kind of jars :mrgreen:

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
If the relative humidity is consistently above 65% or so, pipe tobacco will not dry out. I keep a couple of open tins in a cigar humidor that is set at 65% and it’s always at the perfect moisture level (for my tastes).

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I used the silicone seals for ages. The bail tops were used for tobacco that I smoke and not just for aging, but I have some that have been in use for 10+ years and have not had any issues. I've switched over to canning jars because they are more convenient. I did have a mason jar with a pound of St James Flake and even though it had sealed, the tobacco was much drier than the other the other St. James that were sealed, so that was considered that a fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.