PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
My two year old daughter, Luna, bites her toast into the shape of a billiard and exclaims 'pipe toast!' then sticks it in her mouth and puffs.

Thanks to a bunch of old story books she has, mister dog, beatrix potter series etc, she pretty much thinks that every Papa smokes a pipe! little does she know we are such a minority...

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
I am 45 years old. I remember, as a kid, a lot of my reading books featured a pipe smoking father raking leaves or doing other chores outdoors. A pipe, beyond and above cigars or cigarettes, leaves positive associations for most children, it seems. Very cool. :puffy:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
@mortonbriar I too am in my forties, and my earliest associations with pipes came from fatherly role models. First and foremost was my grandfather, then of course Santa Claus. TV from my childhood also reinforced the fatherly pipe smoking image with the likes of Fred MacMurray on My Three Sons, and Don Porter on Gidget.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Careful, some of you are reinforcing the position that many of the anti-smoke people take: "kids turn to smoking because their role models smoke." Even if you live an other wise perfect life, totally devoted to your child, you'll be branded a bad influence because of one foible.
Sometimes, it is tough to be the dad!

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Social Services already branded me a bad influence when they found out I showed my oldest daughter how to field dress a deer. They called it trauma, and teaching cruelty to animals. So if pipesmoker means daddy to my kids, the whistle blowers can just bite me. :nana:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
There you go! Guns and kids. A combination sure to roil the PC crowd, perhaps even more so than tobacco and kids.
I always look at the PC crowd as the "old values, bad. New values, not so bad. No values, best." ilk. It's a lot easier to have flexibly or, even better, no beliefs or moral values. It makes situational ethics sooooo much easier if one does not believe in right and wrong.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I agree, but if my children and their children wish to remember me as the old pipesmoker, and certain smells remind them of my pipe smoking in years to come as they have reminded me of my grandfather then I am proud of that. BTW she still goes hunting with me.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
It's maddning when I hear that non-vegans are criticizing those who hunt, claiming cruelty. Such blatant hypocrisy rubs me the wrong way. I'm not a hunter and never will be, but I have a great respect for those who do.

Watching freedoms slowly get flushed in exchange for PC is insanity. Kids aren't the delicate snowflakes our society has opted to see them as. I sometime think we're not all that far from The State taking kids away from parents they deem as "bad parents, bad meaning not fitting in with current political climates.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Just the other day I mentioned to my wife that my investment in pipes will 'go on and on, through our grandchildren'.
Oh boy, I did it then.
'What do you mean????? (loud voice). God forbid our grandchildren smoke pipes"
Judiciously, I just slinked away downstairs to smoke.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
@ae1pt were you speaking pro or against the "Free Range Kids" position?

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I have mixed feelings about passing on my hobby to my kid, but I think that's partly just because its hard to imagine a 2 year old as an adult, i barely let her have any sugar right now, it will be a long time before i am comfortable with her having caffeine, let alone nicotine or alcohol...

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
I was smoking my pipe in front of a 5ish year old kid the other day. He stared at me like I was from another planet.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I got in big trouble with my daughter, I took a picture of him with a new Cob, no tobbaco when he spent the summer, messaged it to his Momma, my Daughter. Man did I stir a hornets nest, Wife was also pissed. Won't do that again.

Status
Not open for further replies.