PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ichbinmuede

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2011
My review of Key Largo
Initial impressions are good! They aren't lying when they say that it grows as the bowl burns down. On the first light the orientals really come through. A well spiced touch to your taste buds is your first reward for lighting a bowl of this. Letting the smoke linger in your mouth will allow the cigar leaf and the latakia to come through and bring it to the front and this is a very fine blend of flavours. At the halfway mark of the bowl the cigar leaf and the latakia are more pronounced but I wouldn't say that they are taking center stage. It's more that a light has been cast on them and they've entered the scene with the orientals as they are never diminished just made to work together in a different way. The rich and creamy character that is mentioned truly grows as the burn progresses.

Like a crème brûlée your sweetness is on top but it's below that the real treat is but the sweetness never leaves and only adds to the enjoyment. A definite reccomendation from me.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Excellent review. I always thought key Largo would be up my alley. That review sealed the deal for me. I'm going to have to order a tin with my next tobacco purchase now.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I love latakia blends and I smoke 3-4 cigars a day but I've shied away from pipe blends with cigar tobacco (Indian Summer is my only experience).

Maybe it is time to take the plunge. Thanks for the review.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
How strong is the nic content in Key Largo? I would imagine that cigar leaf blends have a rather high nic content.

ichbinmuede

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2011
Hobie1dog:

Thanks for letting us know about the high cigar leaf content.
I wouldn't say it's particularly high just enough to add a velvety texture.
Ohin3:

How strong is the nic content in Key Largo? I would imagine that cigar leaf blends have a rather high nic content.
I don't think it's very high but I'm not the best judge of that. I was a pack-a-day smoker until a month ago and I haven't gotten any room spinning from vitamin n since I was 16.

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
I wish Canadian Tobacconists carried C&D tobaccos! I love cigar leaf in a pipe tobacco though I have only tried a couple.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
@ assaad: Just order the blends you want from an etailer. I have been ordering from smokingpipes and cupojoes since I moved here and have never had any trouble. Just stay below 200 grams and they wont charge you any excise tax or duties.

sorringowl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Been wondering about this one. Looks like I will have to order it with my next TAD purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.