PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papajoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2014
What is the best way to keep my tobacco ready to use for long time? I'm buying mine in Pouch's. Should I live them close and it will be fine? Or should i transfer it to jars? Or some other idea?

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I have everything in jars, except for new tins that I haven't transferred yet. I'll wait a week or so before I transfer. I use plastic bags or pouches for traveling.

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
johncieera, considering that blends can disappear from the market, either because demand trumps availability or simply because production of the blend ceases, compounded by the fact that tobacco, like most things in this world, is cheaper today than it will be tomorrow, there's a compelling argument to be made to buy now for later and not just when you need it.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I put all my opened tins and bulk tobacco in 4 oz and 8 oz jars.
I had been keeping my opened tins in sealed kitchen canisters, but then when I opened a canister the tobacco odor wasn't overwhelming but it was significant...especially the canister with GL Pease tins in it. I figure if the odor is leaking out, so is the freshness. Plus, if the odor of the GL Pease tins was leaking out, it was also leaking into the other tins.
My wife is pretty sure that I've lost my mind with my 5 dozen jars of tobacco. But at least she doesn't have to smell it.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
8 oz jars for storage, 4 oz for blends I'm smoking, all the time. Anything less and the volatile essences (but no one seems to know what these are), and moisture are compromised. Other guys who calculate how much they smoke have a system for keeping tobacco in the tin, smoking it up before they find that it degrades. Tins are for keeping the tobacco best during shipping and before sale. Yes, I do wish that I could keep it the tin, as they are distinctive, but to me its smoking integrity is paramount.

papajoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2014
@tedswearingen:

Thanks for those links. They are interesting and helpfull

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Johncierra, Man you sure are going to start a fire storm of posts with your idea about pipe tobacco. I will just say that cigars and pipe tobacco are two totally different animals. There are others on here much more knowledgeable about cigars than myself, but you should definitely do some research on the subject dude.
tinner, Stan :puffy:
P.S. If you plan to keep smoking a pipe, buy all the tobacco you can afford, NOW. :clap:
It would be a good idea to proofread your posts. :oops:

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
If you put a wet sponge in with your pipe tobacco you will grow quite a bit of mold. Cigar storage is not the same as pipe tobacco storage.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I guess it depends where you live also. I live in the southwest so my baccy dries out VERY quick if I dont have it in a Ball jar or the like. I will throw a days worth in my pouch and that usually does me. Otherwise I just leave it in my jars and I have never had an issue.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Anything 2oz and more I jar if the seal on the tin has been popped, except for a few tins. If I only have a 1oz sample of something I just leave it in a ziplock bag. I got stuff in Ziplock bags that have been in those bags for months and months and they're still fresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.