PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
What do you use to keep your tobacco moist and to ad moisture when dry. I use a section of a flour tortilla in the bag/jar.
thx

John

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
The easiest way is to spritz it with water. There is a learning curve involved with this method. Too much and your tobacco will mold. Once you learn or get the feel for things it is really easy to maintain your tobacco at any moisture level you desire.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I recommend not using food substances for moisture in your tobacco as this will increase your chances of mold.
Jar the tobacco upon arrival while still moist and never store it in bags.
Better to need a little dry time than the other way around.

I prefer to just put a slice of fresh prime rib in the bag. But, I have expensive tastes, ha ha.

Lots of people put oranges, apples, and bread obviously. It seems to work for them. But, I just either leave mine in the tin or the jar till I want some, and then leave them out to dry to whatever consistency I like.

I've tried the leather pouches, but after setting on my tobacco all day, it just turns to dust.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/album/10722/pa090968-600x450.jpg
There is an article on rehydrating tobacco on the home page here. I came up with this bin and lid when I had a pound of very dry Virginia in a factory bag. I soaked the sponge with distilled water and set the tray in the middle of the bin and then fluffed the tobacco daily. It took 8-9 days to get to a texture I thought was right. You can spritz the tobacco lightly with distilled water, then mix well daily, but lightly is the key word. I put the quart jar in there for perspective.
tinner :wink:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Many tobaccos and blends do well quite dry. I find that most blends smoke well on the dry side,

even very dry. Some, like Five Brothers and Semois come dry, and keep and smoke well that way

for long periods of time. I do live in a humid area, but all I get moistening tobacco is mold. I haven't

really tested Semois over time, but Five Brothers keeps on being dry and smokable for years.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
I spritzed my Semois about 3 months ago, bringing it in to a more respectable case and then jarred it. I checked it this past weekend and it is fine, not overly dry and no mold. The water spritzing is definately a learned technique. I would say for starters if you have a very dry tin, typically 50 to 100 grams, 3 spritzes of a fine mist of water is all you would need. Fluff the tobacco, seal it and check back in about 4 to 6 hours. It should be ready to smoke.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
When I lived on the East Coast I never worried about my tobacco drying out. Now I live outside of Phoenix AZ AND THE humidity is about 20% tobacco seems to dry out faster. The flour tortilla doesn't add anything other than moisture and no chance of mold.

Status
Not open for further replies.