PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
I tend to keep my tinned blends in the tin after opening. I like the paper wrapper and the tin itself because I just like the way they look and function but I find the tobacco tends to dry out too much by the time I get to the last few bowls.
Suggestions?
Disclaimer: I am new to tins after having been a bulk smoker for many years.

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
I've got aromatics in tins and I've found that the fellas are correct in saying that everything should be jarred up once you pop the lid. They seem to lose their flavor pretty quickly if they aren't jarred right away.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I tend to keep my tinned blends in the tin after opening. I like the paper wrapper and the tin itself because I just like the way they look and function but I find the tobacco tends to dry out too much by the time I get to the last few bowls.
The only way to avoid this is to take it out of the tin, or else smoke it before it dries out.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I like to keep my blends in their tins too. One hint I got from an esteemed member is to keep the metal lid on top of the tobacco after it is removed. This is for tine like those used by C&D, McClelland and the like. I have found that the tobacco does stay fresher longer by keeping the metal lid in the can.

Jarring is the best way to keep things fresh but if I'm on the go I like to toss the tin in my bag and not play with pouches.

Try it and see if it works for you.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
A 5 mil aluminized ziplock quart size bag will hold one standard round tin and keep it from drying out for a long time even without heat-sealing. It does take up more room this way but can be used for casual transport duty whereas a jar is too fragile for such use.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
I have some big plastic containers that I have a folded paper towel that I moisten with distilled water. It seems to work well. If a tin is a little dry I just squirt it with distilled water to bring it back. Works well for me.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Jarring is the best way to keep things fresh but if I'm on the go I like to toss the tin in my bag and not play with pouches.
When I'm out and about, which incidently is always, I just remove enough tobacco of each blend from the jar and place it in a common sandwich baggie. If it's still too moist for smoking, I pitch a bowl's worth in some folded´paper to air as I run my errands. As soon as I get a chance to sit and smoke, the baccy is dry enough; with aros I'm a little more careful to make sure they don't over dry.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
As said above. Tin foil or wax paper between the tin and lid will give you enough time to finish a tin without it drying out too much. I kept an 8 oz. tin of Cairo fresh for over a year with that method. Opened every few days or so, anything will dry a bit but generally, a little on the dry side is beneficial to better flavor anyway.
Mike S.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
Question.
If you take some wax, such as Burt's Bees, and rub it along the rim and lid, would this create enough of a tighter seal to prevent air-dry?

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
I just use use a jar funnel to help pour the contents of the tin into a mason jar. I have found that 1/2 pint jars work perfectly for holding the 2 oz tins.

Status
Not open for further replies.