PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Finally I got some photos of the magnificent David Huber pipe that was select Best in Show at the KC Pipe show. All photos courtesy of Smokers Haven where the pipe may still be available for purchase.
061.48.JPG

062.50.JPG

063.51.JPG

064.47.JPG

This pipe has amazing grain and birdseye.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I think the word "Huberian" will soon enter the PipeWorld's lexicon of adjectives.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
It looks like it sunk into the table or floor or whatever it is on.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
its available on Smokers Haven
It is, indeed:
http://www.smokershaven.com/david-s-huber-smooth-bowtie-w-plateau.aspx
I'm as hardcore a classics collector as you'll find, but somehow totally get the design. It inhabits the same "alternate PipeWorld" as the sea creature pipe that Tonni Nielsen made a couple years ago:
http://www.apassionforpipes.com/neills-blog/2014/2/5/leafy-sea-dragon-by-tonni-nielsen.html
Cool stuff.

May 31, 2012
I really like that pipe.
Seems like an evolution of his "twin piston" design,

a good looker.
If this pipe had a traditional stem instead of the stick-bit which looks like a 9mm filter almost,

I'd buy it,

http://www.smokershaven.com/david-s-huber-pipe-dark-blast-two-toned-squashed-tomato.aspx

I love the shaping,

but dislike the stem.
For some reason,

a good tomato is hard to find!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think I'd have to adjust to that as a tobacco pipe, but I can't deny being stopped in my tracks by the shear grain -- dizzying. The judges must have been feeling pretty good at that point in the day/evening.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Looks like a re-creation of last years offering.
Didn't like that...don't like this.
Whatever happened to traditional shapes and sizes?

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Price is not a factor in judging pipes. The wood is always a big deal. Last year's winner was by Tom Eltang and it was an elephant's foot. The only resemblance would be the incredible birds eye on each. Judging was done during the day.

zulucollector

Lurker
Nov 19, 2013
That's an interesting pipe. Although David has called it a bowtie, when I look at it, what I see is an evolved variation of Wolfgang Becker's wasp shape taken to an organic extreme. The pinched waist and asymmetrical shank flare endows the pipe with an organic feel as opposed to a sculptural feel. The pipe seems more to have emerged rather than have been shaped.
In terms of scale, at 6 inches in length, it is a big pipe, especially compared to Becker's wasps which have a traditionally more compact scale of around 4 or so inches. It seems like it might feel somewhat heavy and ungainly, but I could be completely wrong about that. Weighing in at 80 grams, it absolutely is not a clencher. Personally, I'm not fond of pipes with lots of extra wood on them where the weight is a result of massing. I think the design idea is a winner, but scaled down could be stunning. Just my opinion.
David has made excellent use of the materials. The plateau on both bowl top and shank end is quite beautiful and rendered to dramatic effect. As others have written above, he has maximized both straight and birdseye grain.
I really like David. He is a lovely man and possesses the humility and talent to really go places. I think it says many positive things about the KC show that this pipe was awarded best in show. Kansas City seems to me like it is a champion of the North American aesthetic in a way that most carvers here might never have dreamed could be possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.