PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

frnky4fngrs

Lurker
Nov 7, 2010
So I bought a pipe a couple years ago from an antique shop and I'm curious as to what exactly it is. It's an unsmoked large apple pipe and from my brief look on the internet it seems as if it is a Kaywoodie. The engraving and the shank reads, "Monterey Select Grain" on one side with a clover with the letters KBB in the pedals. On the other side of the shank it reads, "Mission Briar...33". The stem has a single white line and has a pointed stinger as well. Let me know if you have any thoughts and I will try to get some pictures soon. Thanks in advance

collindow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
I would go to grayfoxonline, and find their "compendium." It has all sorts of useful Kaywoodie info.

Also, sounds nice!

frnky4fngrs

Lurker
Nov 7, 2010
So I checked out that site and it has a lot of good information on it, but unfortunately none the the etchings on the shank of my pipe are listed as keywords for identifying a pipe. The search for answers continues haha

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
You might try this website for identifying it from the marks on the stem (Click on the bars icon). You can also go back to the home page and look up under pipe maker/brand and you can see under Kaywoodie if anything looks familiar.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Mission Briar is manzanita . The same species as Mediterranean briar but it didn't smoke as well and was given up on after WWII when imported blocks became available again.

frnky4fngrs

Lurker
Nov 7, 2010
Thanks for all the help guys, but it still seems I have no luck in locating any information with the markings on the pipe. I'll try to get pictures up tomorrow to offer a better look at the pipe itself.

pipephil

Lurker
Jun 15, 2010
That's one of these KBB pipes done during WWII and made of Manzanita wood. It's not briar but some shrub having similar properties (North american origin). In those times Briar was rather rare and they looked for everything to replace Bruyere.

Useless to say that this wood has not briar's amazing quality. (sorry)

your pipephil

http://www.pipephil.eu

Status
Not open for further replies.