PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I came across an old KB&B - are they of any note? It's actually a neat little pipe. Like a miniature Bing with a nice blast.

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
Kaufman Brothers and Bondy.

They made Kaywoodie, Yellow-bowl, etc.

The KB&B pipes I think are circa 1920's-30's. There are guys on here that know much more about them than I do.

Did you grab it?
http://kaywoodie.myfreeforum.org would probably be a good resource to check out.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Actually it's my wife's grandfather's that I've cleaned up and used a few times. It's a good smoker. I've used some obsidian oil on the stem and it looks good. I used something for briars - Decator? that did not do as well as I had hoped. Any suggestions to restore the exterior of the briar wood?

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
The KBB stamping was discontinued in 1955 after the company was purchased by SM Frank, so you know that it's at least 60 years old and maybe much older.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
It has the clover leaf looking stamp and the white circle on the stem. Family history would place it around 1900 to the 20's to my best guess.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I read this on Seattle Pipe Club's site - is it good advice? Stem looks great already. Briar is actually OK but I would love to bring it up to a newer appearance.
Remove what's left of the old varnish with an acetone soaked cloth. Then evenly stain and polish the pipe. Apply the Tung Oil, using several light coats. Finally, use our loose buffing wheel to apply a light coat of carnauba wax. Remember, despite what the reps may tell you, the varnish is applied under the wax, not over it. The best varnish available to the tobacconist is Formby's Tung Oil.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It has the clover leaf looking stamp and the white circle on the stem. Family history would place it around 1900 to the 20's to my best guess.
The KB&B in a clover is the standard company logo. Any other descriptors, like "Rivoli", "Sicilia", "Rocky Briar", etc?
Is the smoke hole in the button circular or oval?

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Need to look - at work and pipe at home. Can recall only it said 'Imperial.' Smoke hole? The white circle on the stem is round - if you mean the shape of the opening you draw smoke thru I need to check

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Have you considered sending it out to be done, James at Stem and Briar has done several vintage pipes for me and the cost is very reasonable, you will get it back in like new condition, subjective per the age of the pipe
http://www.stemandbriar.com/resotration

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
had not considered that before now - thanks! I'll spend that much just buying the stuff to do it with! I'm going to send it in and post pics after!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Photos, please! It will help us give you better information.
Here's one way:
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; photo bucket, etc.), select the full image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) and choose copy image location. Now paste that URL (the full web address) into the box that pops up under IMG in the compose reply window of the thread in which you want the photo to show.

Status
Not open for further replies.