PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fetidbog

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2016
Greeting fellow pipe smokers! I'm new to this forum so I'm still trying to figure it out so please bare with me.

Recently I acquired some pipes from a coworker. Most were Kaywoodies but there was a Yello-Bole(briar) and a couple of Bueschers(one unsmoked cob and one Hickory).

The main one I have questions about is a sandblasted Kaywoodie Thorn #67 with a push in fitment on the bit and stinger(4 hole by the way).If my initial research is correct, this pipe dates to the late 1920's. There is also a Drinkless Kaywoodie with a 4 digit number (7767)with the screw in fitment and an aluminum Kaywoodie with a changeable bowl ala the Falcon pipe. The latter pipe also has the ceramic filter and came with some extras in the original Kaywoodie little plastic tube.

So, I'm asking you fellow forum members for any information you may have on these pipes.

PS, the Yello-Bole shows its age but smokes great. I haven't smoked the above mentioned pipes yet as they have really small bowls and frankly now that I know their age, I'm kind of reluctant to.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Fetidbog, welcome. The #67 is indeed from the late 20's, based on your description, and it should be a great smoker, so don't be afraid of smoking it. Btw, I smoke those 2-digit push stems almost exclusively and they're just fantastic.
The 4-digit is from the 30's and the one that looks like a Falcon is from the 60's or 70's....
All good smokers.

fetidbog

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2016
Thanks for the info. I did get a little nervous when I found out that the Thorn was pushing 90 years old but I may give her a smoke later this evening. Thanks again.

fetidbog

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2016
I almost forgot, I also have a Kaywoodie Flame Grain Meerschaum lined #14 bent(3/4?)4 hole stinger, screw in fitment. Good smoker too!I'm thinking its from the late 40's/early 50's? has the white circle with the blck club logo on the top of the stem.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
As long as there are no structural problems like a very thin spot, about to burn through, I would not hesitate to smoke a venerable old pipe like that. It's not like an antique firearm that might blow up on the range, or a tin lizzie that might throw a rod on the highway. Smoking an old pipe normally will not hurt them a bit.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
KBB and the woodies are great smokers, these links ill help you resurch pipe maker history, I refer to them often.
https://pipedia.org/wiki/Kaywoodie
http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-kbb.html
Welcome and enjoy, you defiantly have some good pipes there

fetidbog

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2016
I'm on the patio with the dogs smoking it with some Carter Hall and a cold Miller High Life. Doesn't get more American than that. So far so good.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm a big fan and collector of KBB pipes. You have some good ones, enjoy.
Here one that's nearly a century old, and prior to buying it, was unsmoked. Complete with amber stem and bone tenon.
img_20160629_123205-600x337.jpg

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spectacular-Museum-Quality-Collection-Kaywoodie-Pipes-Large-Rare-Briars-Meers-/302046804112?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT&nma=true&si=Fb4nD7ckXyGBgc3VeAY47nNap9E%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Check out this dank lot of Kaywoodies, sold for 2335$. Wow, considering some people drop over a grand on a pipe this was an epic deal, just those first 6 look way nicer than anything I've seen someone drop a 1000$ on, and the condition of them...... I don't know if I could smoke those they're so nice.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I now have two Kaywoodies in my collection. One is a 118R which gets smoked weekly. The other is a Kaywoodie Stembiter 33 which dates to the early 1950s. It looked like it was barely smoked. I gave it a decent cleaning over the weekend and lit it up. It smoked better than I expected and will pass a pipe cleaner from the bit to the stinger.

Status
Not open for further replies.