PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I bought one of the new old stock Saxons by Kaywoodie was up for sale back just after Thanksgiving. It's a fantastic pipe and their service was spectacular, but unfortunately the stem has begun to oxidize on me after only a couple of months. When it arrived, the stem was beautiful and like polished black glass, but over the last couple months that has given way to the nasty brown tinged edges and surface. It's not been in the sun or anything and only really saw light when out of my bag or being smoked.
I reckon I don't really have any other choice than to treat it like a restoration at this point, do I? My last few stem restorations were mainly done using a Magic eraser, elbow grease and then micromesh sanding films until they sparkled again. Would you recommend the same procedure? I'm just a little nervous about having to around that profile near the bottom of the stem.
20190122_123138-600x291.jpg

20190122_123149-600x291.jpg

20190122_1232141-402x600.jpg

20190122_123410-600x411.jpg

Most likely they had put some sort of oil on the stem. Oil doesn't really prevent oxidization, but it does mask it pretty well. So, that when you started handling the pipe and smoking it, it rapidly revealed what the oil had hidden.
I just use the micromesh. I am not sure what the Magic Eraser could do for you that using the most aggressive grit micromesh pad would not do. Just use the micromesh under cool running water.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I am not sure what the Magic Eraser could do for you that using the most aggressive grit micromesh pad would not do.
True, but I think I was able to use the Magic eraser to remove the least amount of material as possible. Took a little longer, but I didn't know if I'd take off too much with the more aggressive sanding pads.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I'm toying with the idea of picking up some Before & After De-oxidizer and pipe polish. You may wish to do a search on Rebornpipes and see what they have to say.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I bought a new Kaywoodie Saxon, a little blast panel/pot push bit, but it's stem seems good, after several years, probably more recently made. A friend gifted me with a Thompson cigar house pipe, a freehand. The stem was so persistently oxidized, though I polished it after each smoke, that I had a new acrylic stem made; it's a fine piece of briar and good smoking, stamped West Germany.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I am not sure what the Magic Eraser could do for you that using the most aggressive grit micromesh pad would not do.
Magic Eraser, Barkeeper's Friend, and toothpaste cleaned up this 9004. Now though, I use a lighter and wet paper towel and polish with toothpaste.
20180613_180543.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Sure, but if you already have the micromesh pads, you don't need the toothpaste, bar keepers friend stuff, and other makeshift stuff.
I do, and prefer how I do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.