PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
So, I just got this mistreated example of a pipe. It is quite pretty I think and should survive the refurbish OK. I think I know how to fix the indexing of the stem (it is a tiny bit off) but I do want to ask about the poorly repaired shank. I expected a crack, the photo was not good on ebay. But this has apparently been broken OFF and glued back on. It is not exactly right, misaligned a tiny bit. It seems quite strong though. My first thoughts are to refinish the briar, and sand the slight misalignment to minimize it. I am afraid to break it and attempt re-gluing. The bowl looks like it might clean up OK. I will ream it first before proceeding with the rest of the restoration.
Thoughts, ideas, suggestions? (Please excuse the little white hairs in the pic. They are EVERYWHERE. My little Dawg is mostly white. )
35901345571_b90af1366f_z_d.jpg

35901342861_e265f86409_z_d.jpg

I know there will be a black line at the crack, but that's OK. I like the pipe and if it smokes well, that won't matter to me.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Wow...I've never seen a break like that! Maybe the crack can be disguised with a darker stain?
Also, I would go very steady on the reaming as meer will damage very easily. I look forward to seeing the finished article :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
And I would not sand that hellacious break- I wouldn't sand any of the briar, but maybe the cake on the meerschaum.
I thought it was in decent shape —once the stem was de-oxidized—until I noticed the break.... I guess I'd be worried that heat and moisture would soften the joint and the bowl would drop in your lap- so be careful clenching!!

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
You have your work cut out on this. Could I ask how much you paid. One of the problems buying off eBay!

Let us know how you get on.
George

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I got this pipe, another and a teak holder for 25 bucks. I would say this one was 10 bucks... I am happy with it, and will be careful in the restoration. When I get time, I want to check the air hole in the stummel/shank and make sure the inside of it is smooth. I guess I could put in a steel tube sleeve if it falls off. LOL.
Curious, why not sand and refinish the stummel?
This is the ebay pic of the lot.
35219209824_95058679f2_z_d.jpg

stanwebber

Lurker
Mar 26, 2013
i have an african kiko pipe that suffered the same fate, block meerschaum lined as well. it's a dark, almost black, stain on a rusticated bowl so you can't tell the shank is snapped off at all. the only giveaway is that the crack is also across the smooth area where the nomenclature is.
sustained heat from a heat gun may soften up the glue. an alcohol bath would likely deteriorate the meerschaum, especially if it's pressed...perhaps you could partially soak the shank up to the bowl suspended?

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
That's a thought. I probably won't get to much pipe repair for a while. We just found out that we will probably close on the new house soon, so the move is ON!
I thought I would run a drill through the stem, carefully of course, just to make sure the hole is smooth and try smoking it after a reaming and cleaning. Then maybe this winter mess with a refurbish.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I wouldn't sand as it may cause much more work trying to match the stain. And I wouldn't drill the shank unless it's blocked. A bit of turbulence isn't worth risking breaking it apart.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'd use a wet rag to clean the cake off of the meerschaum. Maybe polish up the stem. I would leave the stummel alone.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
On the other hand, if the meer is damaged either now or accidentally during the refurb you could remove it all together. There seems to be enough briar there to allow it to be smoked without the lining.
Just a thought.
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I bet you can get some years out of that pipe. It looks snappy despite its wear. Congrats on the new house.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Thanks. We can't wait. The house isn't new, but new to us. I can't remember if I said before, but my wife and I are full time caregivers for our 100% disabled Iraq war veteran son. We have been taking care of him for almost 11 years now. We live in a tiny old trailer that was to be our retirement home. Well, it has been that, but it is too small and too far away from the VA hospital we go to every 28 days. The 'new' place has LOTS of room and is 3 hours closer to the hospital. The move also eliminates 30 plus miles of rough dirt road from the trip. So, over all, this is a win for all of us... IF we live through it. LOL...

Status
Not open for further replies.