PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Add the Kansas City Housing Authority to the list of agencies that bans smoking in your own government subsidized home. They are banning smoking on the entire property, so folks can't even go outside to smoke. Kansas City joins the entire state of Maine, Boston, Detroit, Houston and about a dozen other cities, who also ban smoking in your own home.
I guess you don't deserve freedom or individual liberties if you're poor.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
It reminds me of the idea of slowly boiling a frog to death. Each time the heat is raised, it causes a slight stir and then is ignored. The best we can do is enjoy it while we can - nothing lasts forever, especially these days!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
If the gubbmint owns the property, they set the rules, good bad or indifferent. If they are only subsidizing the rent, then WTF? What will be next, no smoking if you have an FHA mortgage? If you ever received a FEMA payment? If you take a home-office deduction?

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
If you need the Government to help you pay for your housing (subsidized housing), then I agree that you should not be spending money on luxury items such as tobacco, alcohol, drugs, eating out, etc. If you are spending money on these luxury items while accepting government handouts, then you need to get you priorities straight. I do not feel a law needs to be made to enforce this, but if you have enough money to spend on tobacco, then you do not need subsidized housing!

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
All due respect Niel, we have to keep in mind that some people have disabilities such as schizophrenia, where tobacco offers mental stability benefits:
http://www.schizophrenia.com/nicotine.benefits.htm
Tobacco is good for us, sometimes!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
If you are spending money on these luxury items while accepting government handouts, then you need to get you priorities straight
That's true, but it's not the government's job to enforce it. The Constitution does not discriminate by class, sex, race or income. Read the 14th Amendment.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
but it's not the government's job to enforce it
Because they won't stop there.
Not really, it's because it's none of their f'n business. Maybe the gubbmint shouldn't be in the rental housing business (or the healthcare business, or automotive business, or....)

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I heard a paper at the national 18th-century studies conference this spring about Irish immigrants in the late 1700s writing to an Irish charity organization in Philadelphia. The guy giving the paper quoted from a few of these letters and guess what they usually asked for? Butter, eggs, some pork fat and a month's supply of tobacco.
Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
if you have enough money to spend on tobacco, then you do not need subsidized housing!
I am going to have to disagree with you on that one - however, I am not saying "I am right" and "you are wrong". This is just my opinion - I think your argument is logical to an extent but IMHO, the gov't should not play morality police even if they are assisting one of their citizens (or should I say "subjects"?)
First, be aware that the disparity of the rich and poor is growing at an alarming rate. This interview with Bill Moyers and Paul Krugman is good case in point:
http://vimeo.com/92308666
http://billmoyers.com/episode/what-the-1-dont-want-you-to-know-2/
Little by little many more of us are going to find ourselves in a similar situation with those who require subsidized housing. Right now the system is rigged against the average person and its only getting worse.
To say that these people don't deserve a single luxury seems extreme to me. Should they only be allowed to go from home to work and back again? Can they rent a DVD? Or is that a luxury too? Can they take a drive in the country? or should they just sit in the dark until the next day comes and then work another day?
A human being needs more than just a roof over their heads and food in their belly to truly be called living. And if something is legal, the gov't shouldn't infringe on someone's pursuit of happiness.
Now if I wanted to, I could probably argue just as persuasively the opposite POV. Just my opinion and in this day and age, doesn't count for much. :puffy:

appointed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2013
How exactly are they going to know if you're smoking in a house that they subsidized? Although I hate this law for the principle of it, it does not seem very enforceable to me.

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
Could've argued that the taxes on smoking is helping to pay for subsidized housing?
I hate anyone telling me what I can or can't do, all the while these gov employees have some addiction that is being subsidized by their wages.
Big brother is getting to big for his own britches I fear.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
How exactly are they going to know if you're smoking in a house that they subsidized?
That's a good question, and one that I suspect has very disturbing answer. Well, disturbing if you are a constitutionalist civil liberties freak like myself. Not disturbing if you are an uninformed, internet-addled gadget freak. It's all a matter of your point of view, and as we have been told by Our Fearless Leader, all viewpoints are valid. Some are just much more valid than others.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
appointed asks:

How exactly are they going to know if you're

smoking in a house that they subsidized?
At a minimum, they're going to rely on your neighbors to rat you out ... and you can be sure that at least one of your neighbors is an anti-smoking zealot who will consider even a faint whiff of tobacco smoke as being the equivalent of pumping DDT into their apartment with a fire hose ...

Status
Not open for further replies.