PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I had some confusing problems with Peterson for a while, too confusing to go into, except a pipe went missing and a 107 cracked spectacularly. (Anyone know what to do with such a pipe, btw, or just toss it? Seems a sin to just discard it like trash.) Anyway, to suggest as a solution, that worthy fellow at Peterson, Glen Whelan, offered a very nice smooth straight House Pipe. I got tired of the confusion as well and said go ahead if the House doesn't have a silver cap and has a dark stain.

Other than seeing a few photos of a House--some seem to have a 107 shape--does anyone know anything about House pipes? I also read that only 10% of the world's briar can be used to make a House. I don't know if that's hyperbole but it's encouraging nonetheless. Any and all thoughts on this are appreciated, including photos if you have them.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
The House pipes are really big, there's a bent version and a straight. They are available in all finishes, so I can't imagine any particular claim about the briar being true, except perhaps that blocks big enough to make those suckers are probably a little rare.
I don't prefer them because they have a little stinger fitment, to make them a "system pipe" proper, and I have narrowed my peterson collection down to simpler tenons without fitment, but that's just me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd never heard of them so I got a little education here, for which I thank you'all.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I will, of course, send a photo when the pipe arrives. I did ask for a House without a silver cap, and he's a dark stain. Glad to hear this is a large pipe--yhe bigger the chamber the better. I don't like stingers, however, so I hope it can be smoked without one.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Never heard of their House pipes. Although, I often refer to their System pipes as Outhouse pipes. Not because that's where I smoke them. Because the sump reminds me of one, in function and grossness factor.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I had one. It was a massive and long billiard and I could fit my big thumb in it. It was a p-lip and I clench and considered it too big for my liking. I gave it to a member who appreciates large pipes.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
From what I see at S&P the bents are 4OZ. plus! Welcome to Brads world brother... :wink:

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Good God! If someone bothers you while smoking, that could be used as a weapon to beat them away!

Status
Not open for further replies.