PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ugh457

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 28, 2013
Brantford, Ont.
Hey, that is a good training-wheel-esque pipe!
Put the top back on the gazebo after the rain/freezing rain storm, closed the curtains to keep the wind at bay and MM Legend and Captain Black White.
Thanks to the knowledge base here for my even trying a corn cob! :)

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
They truly are good smokers especially for the price. I have no idea what model the one I have is but it is an MM and it has a rather small bowl. I use it for when I only have time for a fifteen to twenty minute smoke.

brassonly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2012
These MM corn cob pipes sure seem interesting . I think I will order myself a couple with my next tobacco order. At that price I can leave one in my tackle box for when I go fishing. Everyone here seems to think they are very good to smoke so its time I get myself a few.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"Everyone here seems to think they are very good to smoke..."
Not everyone.

brassonly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2012
Ok bigvan , sorry , let me reaword that. Many smokers here seem to think they are good smoking pipes lol.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
As a relatively new smoker, I agree that the MM cobs are a great place to start. I had another nearly perfect bowlful today in one of my Legends - aside from smoking too fast and hot, which is still something I'm working on, the pipe stayed lit under less than ideal conditions, and I'm finally getting the hang of drawing while tamping to keep it that way.

pipinho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2013
i have briars, meers, falcons, ect but i don't think cobs are any less of a quality smoke than any other material. Granted, you get corn taste in the first few smokes but it goes away

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
Hey to all I just got a bag of 10 Missouri Meerschaum (corncob.com)seconds. These all appear to be in fine working order. should last me a while. Smoked two of the 10 already and they work great... just search their home page for "specials".

ugh457

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 28, 2013
Brantford, Ont.
I just got a bag of 10 Missouri Meerschaum (corncob.com)seconds.
I wasn't sure whether i would get the bag of cobs or I saw that Mr. Brog Churchwarden as my next pipe purchase...hmmmm...I wonder :?:

spud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 10, 2013
I once upon a time I lived across the Missouri river from Washington Mo. That's Warren county. This is river bottom land, where there are mile after mile of corn growing. Here they raise a special breed of corn that produces bigger, thicker cobs. This is where MM comes from. MM comes from a special cob, so it will be hard for you to make one unless you have the special cob.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I picked up a MM Country Gentleman last night. I gotta say it's a fine smoking pipe for $9.95. :puffy:

javajunkie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2013
$5-10 for something that can smoke cool and dry to the bottom of the bowl leaving nothing but ash? What's not to love?
Granted, they do not fit in with my aesthetic really, but ugly that works is always better than pretty that doesn't, for myself at least. I am still learning a couple of my briars, how to smoke them better and what they like to burn, and a few are just not really opening up to me yet (journey, not a destination, I know), but a MM corn cob has basically a built in autopilot. I think every novitiate should buy a fistful of these guys, a couple decent starter briar, and use that as their rotation while they slowly learn the tobaccos, and what they are really looking for in a briar.

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
I'm very new to pipe smoking. I'm still working on what types of tobacco I like. I like my MMs. I get a better feel for the tobacco in a MM. I don't want to ghost up a briar with a type of tobacco so I'll try it in a MM first. I'm finding that the MMs are just plain all around good pipes.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
OK, I tried the corncob.com site and it was an odd ball site with snakes at the top and directions on how to cook corn on the cob. What's the secret to this website?

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
I think it should be one of the commandments of pipe smoking. "Thou Shalt Have Smoked Thine Cob From Whence The Sun Riseth On The Sabbath, Until The Sun Riseth On The Sabbath Again".
Amen, and amen! It's been 90% cobs here for a couple months.
@ plateauguy: MM Cobs

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Found two great sites. First of all, thanks for the tip on wvsmokeshop.com - great overall site. Then I found www.aristocob.com - nothing but MM's with great prices. Beginning to think I need to get a Diplomat to add to my Peterson - want to be well rounded.

pipinho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2013
just get some new stems from walker briar works fo about 30 bucks or from corncobpipes on the 'bay for about 13

Status
Not open for further replies.