PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I'm smoking the new Capstan Blue flake (thanks for the sample Pat) and I think I now understand all they hype. Wow is this stuff flavourful! I don't do reviews, because frankly I don't know enough and more palate isn't refined enough to make informed observations. But I would put this along the same vein as SG BBF with a little something extra in there. I can't put my finger on it but it is one tasty smoke. I'm putting in a TAD order later this week and I was going to get a tin of the ready rubbed as well, think I'll just get an extra tin of the flake instead.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
You know what's funny? I'm smoking my first bowl in awhile - and I'm not at all experiencing the amazement I did last time. Weird.
Chris

cavendish36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
I picked up a tin a couple weeks ago, but planned on cellaring it for awhile. Hmm, I might pull it out and sample it now...

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Man its fantastic, I packed according to advice from Roth and Harris and it is singing in my 1940's Brigham Dublin.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I went the cube cut route route with CB for my first bowl, and loved that smoke from top to bottom. Based on the feedback I had from Harris with input from Roth, I cube cut, stuffed, and then stuffed some more till I got good resistance but still had even airflow.
I was able to maintain that throughout the smoke and really enjoyed the flavours. Nice sweetness ranging from honey and cane sugar into toasted cereal and nutty notes.
-- Pat

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
tarak, you should cube it, pack it pretty tight and I think you will notice a huge difference.
Brian, I would not waste my money on the ready rubbed, cubing will be impossible.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Thanks for the input Harris, I have a tin on my order to be placed Thursday, maybe I'll change it to a tin of the gold? Or perhaps just another tin of blue.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hey Sparrow.
In this instance, "cube" refers to the result of "cube cutting" a flake tobacco prior to packing. This as an alternative to rubbing out a flake, or folding and stuffing. Here's a great primer from BentMike *props*.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/the-cube-cut-method
-- Pat

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Thanks for the link, it'll no doubt clear up a lot of questions I had about "folding," "rolling" and so forth.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Blue is great, but it's definatly an "on when it's on, off when it's off" tobacco. Once your dialed in though your golden.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
I have this on my list of things to order. I'm not huge into VA flakes. But, this stuff has received a lot of praise in Dayton from fellow smokers. So much that they won't even let me have a few flakes. I haven't heard anything much about the Yellow. And I wouldn't buy a loose cut form of it. They make the flakes for a reason.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Brian, I think the Gold is a fine blend. It is more similar to Dunhill Flake but it has a real nice citrus backbone that is interesting. I do plan on cellaring some of the Gold.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Ok then, its settled. I'll order a few tins of the blue flake and one of the gold to try. Then I'll continue to order a tin for cellaring every order so I can build it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.