PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
DISCLAIMER: Naming the show "Chicago" makes a lot of sense, and it should not changed. With that said, (this is nitpicky) know that if you're coming to the Chicago show, you'll be in Chicagoland, not true Chicago. As in, you'll be in the suburbs, not the city. Acknowledging this distinction makes elitist city-dwelling snobs (like me) really happy. :nana: We're just really proud of our city! End facetious rant. :mrgreen: If you want recommendations of what to eat or see while you're in town, I'd be happy to give you a list!
With that said, I'm actually not a snob in person (I hope) and am incredibly excited to meet many of you at the show. I'll be there on Saturday, April 30. If you're coming, please look for me and introduce yourselves! I look like this (the short-haired one):
10451780_887327222085_4155124513154926046_n.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I grew up in the Chicago area, a suburb close enough to walk (easily) to the far outer reaches of the city. If you get downtown, see Millennial Park and the Art Institute next to it, Iwan Ries which is a short walk away, and at least a glimpse of the lakefront. If you are into architecture take a tour, and the river tour is always pretty great. If you don't like cities, you'll be far enough out that you won't be bothered by any of the big city hassle, but you'll miss a lot too. I commuted into U of I in Chicago my first two years of college, on Navy Pier the first year and to the then-new Westside Campus the second, Congress Circle Campus as it was called at the time. Rode the then Chicago and Northwestern Railroad.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
C'mon, where's the love for The Second City? Chicago is a damn good city. Lakefront is stupendous, downtown a treat. Cop whistles are unique, and what other city has a distinct "loop"?
I look forward to a few days there, as well as in Wayne.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"C'mon, where's the love for The Second City?:
You forgot to mention the horrendous traffic, the fact that it is seemingly impossible to travel anywhere in the area without paying tolls...lots of tolls, insane taxes, and the high murder-rate.
On the plus side there is Iwan Ries & Co.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I am not fond of big cities, so I rarely leave the suburbs, unless work forces me to go to downtown. Once our kids and nieces and nephews wanted to ride the train into Chicago on a Saturday. Yay! six days of commuting instead of five. And we ate at McD's in the train station.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
WTF! I've been to the show in Harvey, Bloomingdale and St Charles and as far as I know the show has always been THE CHICAGOLAND INTERNATIONAL PIPE & TOBACCIANA SHOW 8O

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
You haters are just jealous. :)
Daveinlax, you're right, that is the full and proper name. Nobody says it that way verbally though!

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
As something one who lives in the south loop of a vibrant world class city I wish it WAS in Chicago. But I will make the drive out to St Charles anyway.

dadgy

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2015
And to the rest of us in Illinois, everything north of I-80 and east of I-39 is "Chicago". I hope to make it up to the show, but I'd bet that work will keep me near home that weekend.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Why do the geekie looking guys always get the good looking women? :wink:
Don't know about geek; MM looks like a lacrosse player I coached a few years ago. In any event, MM, please send the wife! :)

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Chicago is a World Class City. Just saw the Van Gogh exhibit at the Art Museum a few weeks ago. Very Nice !! I also saw a squirrel with some skin disease or possibly tattoos. Now if I could get a pitcher of beer there for less than 25 dollars, I'd go more.

Status
Not open for further replies.