Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Broke out my Peterson pipe, which has no C.O.M. And a p-lip, which dates it at about 100 years old I believe. Packed it with some Latakia I recieved in a sample bag from my local tobacconist who were celebrating thier 65th anniversary.
I do have to say I like it. It seems to burn cool and even, low nicotine, and has a very strong campfire/chocolate like taste.
I will be buying more.
Warren

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
lostandfound asked:

"How 'bout pure Perique?"
I'd go for that instead of pure Lat any time ... but, I'd not expect a good smoke from something that should be a 'condiment' in a blend ... I HAVE tried a bowl of pure Cigar Leaf but it was not at all like smoking a cigar and it didn't exactly rate high on my smoking enjoyment scale, though I DO like it as an addition to some blends.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Honestly I dont find it that bad.....definately a once in a while smoke. No probs keeping it lit, and its a small bowl.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
When I worked at a B&M back in college, I dabbled with learning how to blend a bit. For sake of learning, I smoked a bowl of pretty much every pure leaf I could get my hands on, including latakia and perique.
Straight latakia actually smokes pretty well, if you're a fan of the smokey qualities of the smoke. I love latakia and smoke heavy percentage blends of it all time however, it gets a little too monotonous smoked by itself. I've found that a blend like C&D da Vinci works well for me because all though it's 75% lat, the additional components give it some depth of flavor and keep it interesting.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I'll take note of that. I'm not a huge Lat fan, although I do like my odd bowl of Nightcap or 965. Just to change it up a bit.....when the girlfriends out of the apartment of course, hahahahaha

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I used to work at a tobacco shop and we had a regular female customer who would come in to buy straight latakia to smoke. She loved it. Unfortunately, she was married. . . which seriously disappointed all of us guys behind the counter. Because as I'm sure everyone here knows, most women aren't exactly drawn to the smell of burning latakia (unless they have a bucket of water in hand).
Bob

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
Enjoy, gents-- but this concept doesn't appeal to me. I see them as condiments only. Why drink a bottle of barbecue sauce or Tabasco?

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'm definitely in the "condiments" camp as well.
But it's worth noting that that's a fairly recent development (in historical terms). Up until the mid-to-late 1800s, all tobacco leaf was smoked straight; there was no concept of blending different leaf together to create "mixtures." So at that point, it wouldn't have been any more odd to smoke straight latakia than, say, straight Virginia or burley or any of the other oriental varietals.
But those guys were definitely made of heartier stuff than I. . .
Bob

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
msandoval858 opined:
I smoked a bowl of pretty much every pure leaf I could get my hands on, including latakia and perique.

This.
Far too often we allow others to tell us what we do and do not, will and will not like. If you really enjoy smoking a pipe, perhaps you owe it to yourself to try a little bit of all the base tobaccos. It's no different than cooking, really. You need to know what your ingredients taste like, and what they do when combined, if you really want to enjoy cooking (and eating). Only by knowing what goes in to a blend can you think and speak critically about it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thanks for the report on Latakia smoked straight up. I'm glad it is pleasant, at least to some. I've heard

Perique is harsh by itself, but some may like it. There's someone who likes nearly any taste or experience.

What Latakia does for various blends of Virginias and burleys, and blended with Perique, Orientals,

and Cavendish, dulls my need to try it by itself, though I may do it, in some rare mood.

Status
Not open for further replies.