PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
So I am reading a artical here and well had a ADHD moment in my thought process. Its not always a bad thing.

so here is my thought.
I am not gonna go in to the female pipe smokers because I dont know anything of that trend.

But this is what I see and my oppinion of why. I am a former bouncer of 16 yrs Ive worked in all “Gentelmans clubs” all across the U.S from high scale places to biker dives. At one time in the upper class places all one would see is business men and pretty boys with their shaved chest and legs in clothes I wouldnt be cought in living on a trust fund or spoiled mamas boys with crotch rocketts and the biker dives were just that men in their mid 30 and up rowdy as hell on some sort of American made scooter. Over the years I have noticed a trend of younger men or should I say boys on American bikes in the rowdy bars. Now whats this have to do with pipe smoking you may be asking right now. Well here it is. It appears to me all these trends going on with the younger men are all leaning to old times where men were just that men. Maybe a little Machismo tossed in. The youth of today are longing for a time where it was ok to be a man it was ok to open a door for a woman it was ok to stand up for what you believed in. And yes ive seen these mamas boys hide behind a woman to keep from getting hit now I see the younder ones standing up for a woman as it should be. This just my oppinion

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
I just want to add to this that most "indrustrialized" countrys there is no more rights of passage in to manhood like in the days passed.

Jul 15, 2011
I think you bring up a good point in that some younger guys, say, guys who are just getting out of high school/going into college, are starting to try and bring back retro chic, but whether or not that is a good thing or a bad thing, I have no idea. It seems like there are more pipe smokers than ever in the 18-25 demographic, or at least, their presence is being made on the forums at least. As far as young men who are longing for a time when it was OK to be a man, to open doors for a lady and things of the like? I dont personally see it where I live, but thats just me. There are a still a lot of chauvinistic, disrespectful miscreants in my neck of the woods, and in my neighborhood, the cops are pretty busy what with drug busts and domestic abuse. I think you could be on to something though. It would be nice to think that we are going back to an era where men can be men, and as you said, stand up for their friends, their loved ones, and stand up for what they believe in, because men like that are few and far between these days. I would love to see more young guys who have a firm belief system, and more importantly, young men who aren't afraid to work for what they want and make an honest living from the sweat of their brow, as it was instilled in me by my father as a young man.
/soapbox

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
Pipe Novelist

I live in small town Indiana yeah we have some chauvinistic people here but the difference is values most kids here get up and do farm chors before school most of us leave and leave the doors unlocked or go to bed that way.

we know our neighbors and watch out for eachother. about 2 yrars ago there was a attempted kidnapping once that hit the scanners phones were ringing roads for a lack of a better word shut down not by the cops but by the people and out driving around looking for the car. Just different in rule areas I guess.

Jul 15, 2011
Its funny that you should say that. Im not too far from you, living in the heart of Illinois, but there are very few kids who are raised on the farm here anymore. Most of the farming is done by the old guys who have owned the farms for the last 20-30 years. Most people here couldn't give a damn about their neighbor or one another, but every once in a while I am still surprised by some of the camaraderie I see, though it is few and far between. That being said, the neighborhood that I live in isnt really bad, and I feel comfortable living where I live and the people that I live near, and everyone knows pretty much everyone, we just aren't really all that tight knit is all. Like you said, it is just different from area to area.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
yeah Big difference in towns now I live in the biggest town in the county and its different then where I lived before here just 10 miles away and when I say biggest town in the county its about 2500 to 3000 ppl.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
Jaysin: Guys who smoke a pipe have time to think about the important things in life. Pipe smoking is deliberate and cerebral. I rode a Harley FLH years ago and smoke about four bowls a day now so I have time to think and fond memories of the saddle under the crotch. We are men who are comfortable in our skin and we know what that means. Manhood is an accomplishment that takes time to arrive at. Contemplative time with a pipe affords the opportunity to confirm what real manhood means. We care for others and we are the fortunate men in our communities.

monstermash51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 13, 2012
I know I may only be 18 , but what mjtannen said is honestly what I strive for everyday. I try to find out who I really am. I have goals and aspereations to make it this world and I plan on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.