Just A Precaution...Please Watch Out For This.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
I dont know what to think of this and i certainly don't wanna jump to conclusions but i came across an ebay ad that is Using one of my pictures to sell a pipe i recently sold. Now If it turns out its someone i sold the pipe to i want them to know that if its the pipe they are not pleased with i will gladly take it back for a full refund upon receiving it.
on the other hand is someone trying to scam buyers using my pictures that would be bad for me. I messaged the seller saying that they need to take new pictures or take the ad down or i will report it and they seem to have gotten the hint but i still am feeling odd about it. No reply yet from the seller just the action of ending the ad.
I have asked if he purchased the pipe from me and still have not received a reply so i am compelled to mention this on here to cover my ass, if it is someone on here please contact me through PM and we can resolve this or i will post the ad to warn others at which point i would have no choice but to treat it as a scam.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
The Ad
Just Got Reply
It was a random google pic, it was my first post on ebay. I deleted the picture, sorry for the inconvenience of you and your customers
Well i guess they wont be using my Pics anymore, was thinking i should do something significant in my pictures, like maybe ad some sort of Prop.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
I got to protect you guys from possible scams especially when they make it look like me lol. I wasn't having none of that no thank you. First post or not they got to learn somehow at least now they got the idea.

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
Well i guess they wont be using my Pics anymore, was thinking i should do something significant in my pictures, like maybe ad some sort of Prop.
Just stamp your username in the picture. That is the best means of stopping it I would say.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
It's probably a seller thinking he can just take a pic off the net to sell the pipe, he's probably not a pipe smoker and using the same tactic someone might use to sell something generic where the pic doesn't really matter and applying it to a pipe. The guy is either too lazy to take a picture or does not own a camera.

dd50

Might Stick Around
Nov 21, 2013
Nice catch Smokey....I want to see the three items he received positive feedback for.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Hi smokeybear,
I was having that problem on occasion with my photos. I now use a watermark for all of my pics and that ended the problem. Every once in awhile I am sent links to auctions by good folks who give me a heads up whenever someone uses my photos and now all I have to do is send the link to eBay and they will immediately end the perps auction.
Pipestud

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
It still comes down to this: he was making an attempt to sell something he didn't have. That's fraud, and should be reported to eBay.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
For your diligence you are hereby awarded the

Official PipesMagazine.com Propeller Beanie! :clap:

Propellerbeanie-1.jpg

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Omg I finally got the Beanie thanks Cortez lol I've after it for so long.
Also thanks for the tips regarding watermarks I'm sure that would help but it will take me that much longer to post an ad I probably won't do it. Also I deleted CS4 off my laptop cause it was taking up to much space and I never really use it anymore since I no longer design my on web pages for my varies companies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I think you were right to tell him smokey. It was probably just laziness on his part, but still...
i should do something significant in my pictures, like maybe ad some sort of Prop.
+1

moses

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
Interestingly enough, none of the pipes he's selling look even remotely close to the picture he nicked lol. Not a bent pipe among them. :crazy:

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I have had this problem quite a bit, particularly with shaving brushes and razors that I've taken photos of for a friend of mine who owns an online store. Within days they started showing up not only on ebay but on other online store dealers as well.
Now I watermark everything and that has seemed to help. Honestly I don't even mind someone using one of my photos if they at least took the courtesy to e-mail me and ask me for permission. On the flip side, I have made a little pocket change off of dealers who wanted me to shoot products for their online stores :)

Aug 14, 2012
There are a lot of interesting scams on Ebay. I had a camera store there for many years. Once, I started getting emails asking questions about some cameras that I did not have listed. On investigating I discovered that my ID had been stolen and someone had set up a store to sell stuff he did not have in my name.

oldmannk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2014
The moral of the story folks is don't mess with Smokeybear he's got your number. I glade it all worked out for you. Thanks for looking out for us and the heads up.

Status
Not open for further replies.