PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I saw this pipe rack on ebay. It's one thing to buy pipes from the estates of deceased pipe smokers, but this is a little strange, eh? I wonder if he had family and why they wouldn't want this as a keepsake?
ghostrack_zpsddb5c8da.jpg

May God rest his soul, whoever he is!

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
It is creepy although it was probably made for him back in the day when decoupage was so popular.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Tons of family photos get recycled in antique shops and flea markets. It apparently depends on having the right

family members know about the family heirlooms and having space to keep them. With people dispersed all over

the country and world, likely the appropriate family members just aren't there to accept these items, or don't know

about them. Also, a lot of this stuff probably gets lost in financial reverses and estate sales when whole houses are

closed out in a hurry by relatives who live out of state. Life can be very unstable.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I wouldn't mind sharing an evening pipe with him. It's a tidy little rack and I bet I could construct a heck of a "back story" for him during the dark winter months. Might be a bit ghoulish and he couldn't hold up his end of the conversion. On the other hand I wouldn't have to offer him a bit of brandy or pint of Guinness. Or, better yet, he wouldn't be asking for a bowl of tobacco either!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Burl Ives and Doc Watson sounded remarkably similar in voice tonal quality, though they sang very

different song books.
Another way family heirlooms get displaced, kidnapping, in the sense that some old boy will run off

with some gold-digging or flakey woman a few years younger, and she grabs all the family history and

heirlooms, refusing to give them to children, the ex, or anyone else who actually lived with and cared

about the items. The "love interest" eventually kicks off, and no one knows anything about any of the

pillaged family items, and off they go to the flea market. Happens all the time. Or a Lathario geezer,

same process.

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
Thanks. I like being creeped out but, too rich for my blood. Free shipping and I'd be all over it! I'll be watching it (Grandpa) closely.

Jan 8, 2013
One can never really tell by a photo I guess, but he looks to me to have been a kind soul, and perhaps even a wise soul. I can't see why a family member wouldn't have wanted to keep it. I don't find it creepy, I find it a bit sad.

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
In my side business, I hit a lot of estate sales. It is sad to see the things that no family members want, but at least someone wants it, and I hope the deceased would be happy about that. People have so much crap today, it can't all be sentimental.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It is sad. But, I can think of many reasons, some are felonies others just anti-social, why family might want him out of the picture. That's one of the reasons I would have it, I could make up a million back-stories.
Remember what so many neighbors always say to the reporter after a serial rapist or killer is arrested: "He seemed like such a nice guy. Quiet, neat, kept his grass mowed. Heck! He even had a puppy!"

Status
Not open for further replies.