PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 3, 2014
So, I decided I wanted to finally purchase some pipes after a couple years of thinking about it.
oilfieldcowboy_newpipes.jpg

Dunhill County 3105

Dunhill 1 pipe tobacco pouch

Rossi Salerno 8207

SixPence

Westminster

plumbcake

Senior Reamer
Purchased the Rossi to learn with as I don't want to ruin the Dunhill right out of the gate due to some ignorance of mine when it comes to briars.
First impressions of the tobacco:
Westminster smells intoxicating. Has a smell to it that reminds me of my grandfathers pipe.

The SixPence is a much earthier scent. Smells like fresh turned soil waiting for winter wheat to be planted, with just a hit of musky that reminds me of butchering animals.

Plumbcake has a scent somewhere between the other two that reminds me of smoking cigars with friends when I was in college.
So the question is, of those three tobaccos what would the recommendation be for my first major foray into the pipe world?

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
Careful, pipes are addictive, lol I have only been smoking a few months and already have over 30 pipes and about 1.5 - 2 kg's of tobacco ageing and about 7-8 blends in my regular rotation.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
oilfieldcowboy:
I missed your initial post, so allow me to welcome you aboard, Sir! Here the smoking lamp is always lit.
It seems to me that you have chosen well, both in pipes and tobaccos. I would pick Plumcake as my first smoke, as it is a favorite of mine.
Regardless of which tobacco you choose, pack your pipe carefully, light gently with matches or a lighter with a soft flame, smoke SLOWLY, tamp only as needed, and enjoy!

Dec 3, 2014
huntertrw,
Thanks for the welcome. I might just have to give all three blends a shot this evening if I get some time, otherwise they will wait until this weekend.
As for the lighter, not pictured is a Kiribi lighter all fueled up and ready to go. I also have some cedar spills on order to try a more "traditional" lighting method. My grandfather always said his best smokes were those he had around a campfire when he used a burning twig or ember to get lit.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Welcome, don't fill all the way to the top' , moisten rim with spit to keep from burning. rim Go slow it ain't a speed contest. It don't taste like it smells, sometimes the worst smell are the best smoke. Glad you're here , stay awhile.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
oilfieldcowboy, welcome! I am new as well. Smoked a pipe 25 years ago and just started up again. I like your starter kit.
toby67, did you buy new pipes? Or estate? That's a bunch of pipes purchased in such a short period of time.

mephistopheles

Oct 14, 2014
Hello and welcome! Looks like you've got a really good setup so far. As far as what to smoke first? Well, I think you need to be the judge of that. You really can't go wrong.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Welcome aboard oilfieldcowboy.
Well you're certainly off to a good start: decent pipes and decent tobacco!
The idea is to take your time with this. Even though you've got a nice starter kit you'll need to define your own unique personal tastes in tobaccos. Smoking a pipe isn't as easy as pitching in the tobacco and puffing away, at least at first.
I picked up some general rules here on this forum that have served me well.
They go something like this:
Smoke the tobacco drier than you think it should be

Pack the pipe looser than you think it should be

Sip much more gently than you think you should

Tamp regularily, but very gently
Also, never worry if your pipe goes out and never count the relights
I try to relax before approaching my pipe not during the smoke.

Try several different types of blends and make your mind up for yourself on what you like and don't like.
Welcome to the fold and always smoke in good health.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
I have a couple of new pipes but the majority of them are estates. To name a few brands in no particular order I have my Meerchaum, Armellini, Peterson, Comoy, Chacom, Savellini Estella, Damman, YelloBole, Kaywoodie's, Jensen's, Whitehall's, Kosmos, Cobs, Civic's and so on ...
Would have to get them all out and make a list to name them all. I have some of them pictured in a thread "eBay Wins"

Dec 3, 2014
Smoke the tobacco drier than you think it should be

I think I've got a handle on this one. The way it was explained to me was that when you grab a pinch of it, it should hold together without clumping or turning into one giant mass.
Pack the pipe looser than you think it should be

After watching the videos on the "Frank Method," it looked very similar to how I remember my grandfather packing his pipe so that is how I tried it. It turned out pretty decent, though I think I didn't get the top layer of tobacco tight enough.
Sip much more gently than you think you should

Didn't have much trouble with this. The only time I had any issues from over drawing was during one relight, and the tongue bite I got was enough to remind me to slow down.
Tamp regularily, but very gently
This is what I have the most issue with, and experimented the most with while smoking the plumbcake yesterday.
Also, never worry if your pipe goes out and never count the relights

I didn't count the relights, but I paid enough attention to know that in the just over an hour it took me to burn the bowl of plumbcake I had between 3 and 5 relights.
All in all, the first pipefull in the Rossi was a great joy. A relaxing hour spent sitting in the woodshop watching the smoke curl through the shafts of light coming in the windows until my boss called and wanted to talk work.

pipebaum81

Nov 23, 2014
dottiewarden if ever I find myself in your proverbial neck of the woods we should smoke. Your thoughts so closely mirror my take. Like minds should smoke.
oilfieldcowboy, I am relatively new. Do what works, avoid what doesn't. Find your inner comfort zone and smoking style. It only develpos through time. IMO, pike smoking is the tortoise in a hare-race world. I've met plenty of passionate pike smokers but intense not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.