Jost's in Saint Louis (anyone have any actual memories of this place?)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Hey guys.

I've been in the StL for about 8 years and recently found out about an old St. Louis institution called Jost's.

I've done a fair bit of net searching and found out the following:

-the shop was located downtown under Macy's.

-in it's later years the shop was run by a female.

-the machine made Jost pipes were produced by Comoys/GBD but they also offered some hand-made/finished pipes by an African American fellow named Harvey Rasberry.

-the shop closed in the early 1970's.
Question: can any of you old timers who were around tell me what this place was like? Was it an unremarkable hole in the wall, or an establishment you'd want to spend some time in? Do you have any old Jost's?

I'll post pics of the ones I've got when we get back to the StL.

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Here's the first 3 Jost's I found, from the estate of an StL legend named Chip Powell.

The top one is about a Group 1 Jost's "Olde English Supreme"

In the middle is a Group 4 Jost's Supreme

On the bottom is a Jost's Thames
From what I can tell, the Supreme grade denotes at least some quality grain, but not necessarily no fills.

What I do know is that all of them I've acquired (I have 4 now and have given one away) are FANTASTIC smokers.

That little Group 1 is especially awesome.
I'll post pics of the others later.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The Logos & Trademarks website, pipephil.eu had the following info:
Proprietor of the tobacco shop: Mrs Henry A. Jost. She was a pipesmoker.

Artisan: Harwey Raspberry

Jost's Pipes are closely tied to Comoy. Many of Jost's pipes have the standard Comoy shape number and the "Made in England " in a circle. If the Jost's pipe doesn't have the "Made in England " it is probably made by Harwey Raspberry.

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
I was doing a google search for Harwey Raspberry and found this old thread. I just posted about receiving one of these pipes. Very cool.

kmstolte

Lurker
May 14, 2012
Houston, TX
I was raised in St. Louis, born in 1939. I moved away in 1963. It was about 1959 that I was introduced to the Jost's Pipe Shop. In conversations, Mrs. Jost referred to her deceased husband with a reverence when discussing "pipe" opinions. The shop was not large, by Iwan Ries standards, but it had a charm and old world character. Harvey Raspberry was always so cordial and assisted with sales as well as making pipe repairs. Harvey was also an avid bridge player and had attained his Master status. The team of Mrs. Jost and Harvey was low key but successful with encouraging their clients' enjoyment of pipe smoking. They had a knack for remembering their clients' preferences for pipe styles and grades, and tobacco prferrences. As I recall, they only sold their own blends of tobacco which were offerred as Jost's Virginia, Jost's Deluxe and Jost's Old English. I don't recall the years nor the exact addresses, but I believe their shop that I first visited was closed and moved to a new location sometime in the 1960s. The original shop was in a building which was to be demolished and the new shop was nearby on the street perimeter (street level) of the Famous-Barr Department store (a division of Macy's). I still have and enjoy smoking perhaps twenty Jost's pipes.

There was another respected pipe and tobacco shop in downtown St. Louis at the time. It is still in business, and I believe is still operated by the same family, but has moved to St. Charles, Mo. The name of that shop is John Dengler Tobacconist. They may be willing and able to put together more accurate and additional informational bits regarding their former competitor, Jost's.

Reactions: Papamique

batdemon

Dec 20, 2011
I bought my first 2 pipes from Harvey in 1982, so the shop was still in business at that time. My first was a Canadian and 2nd was an Oom Paul. I still smoke them regularly. Harvey was always a most charming gentleman. As for the shop, as I remember, it wasn't huge but it was very comfortable,and welcoming. Very pleasent shop indeed.

batdemon

Dec 20, 2011
Here is a pic of my Jost's, both are 30 years old. Still great smokers
JostPair2.jpg

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I realize this is an old post, but thought it was a good place to show my newest Estate find. A Jost Straight Bulldog made by Harvey Raspberry I believe of Jost's. I think its a great piece for $25.38 with free shipping, and a perfect pipe to do my first restoration on :)

:puffy:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Reviving an old thread. Was anyone else watching this Jost Old English Supreme 498? (Comoys 498 Extraordinaire shape).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221562655929?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
$_57.JPG

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
There are a number of Jost pipes (including pieces from an estate collection) currently being offered for sale on eBay at what seem to me to be VERY reasonable prices. I just purchased a No. 16 billiard from the estate collection, and am now eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Mail Man.

mkelaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2012
I was in St. Louis on business in 1965 or '66 and stumbled on Jost's. I'd been smoking a pipe for a couple of years and had maybe two pipes at the time. Harvey Raspberry is one of the most unforgettable people I've ever met. I bought two small, Shell-like blasts. They were made by Comoy's. Lost one about 15 years ago and I'm still pissed. The other is on its second or third bit. When I bought them, Harvey rubbed some honey in the bowls and then told me that a pipe was like a hound dog and should be broken in hard. Not sure if I did it that way but they both turned out to be great pipes. He was a wonderful guy and I still think of that day from time to time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Josts sound wonderful. They left their mark. Some of of the smaller, more low key places are

major in their own way, partly because they are not large.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I've lived in the St Louis area my whole life. (born in '53) Good to hear about Josts. Has to be other smoke shop stories of the area still to find. I know in the '70's there were some Tinder Box stores in the area. Only one remains today, and I need to go see it.
tinner

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I suppose how the pipes were stored would determine if any damage occurred. For less than $20/pipe, it sounds like it would be worth the gamble. If they had a bent, I'd have grabbed one myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.