PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
So I went back to my hometown of Champaign Ill. last weekend to visit my Mom who is getting on in years. I went to high school with the Mayor and I remember him posting an article on "Jon's Pipe Shop" there in town. So, I thought I would stop by and check it out.
Now I have been to pipe shops in about 4-5 different countries, and with the possible exception of Iwan Ries in Chicago, this is about the finest pipe shop I have been to. It is not a cigar store that also sells pipes, it is a pipe store that has a few cigars. They also have a huge smoking lounge. Nice.
Excellent selection of new and estate pipes in all price ranges (sadly no Ivarsson's). They did have a "Former" factory pipe based upon an old Dunhill shape that was made especially for the shop and had their name carved therein. Sold!
If you're ever in central Ill. you to check this place out.
20140927_102152_zps112ebb62.jpg

20140927_101709_zps678d7be2.jpg

20140927_174751_zpskeb48kma.jpg

20140927_174925_zpsokqpc64c.jpg

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
natibo:
Jon's is, indeed, a treasure. I have been privileged to visit their previous location (a VERY narrow but deep store, close to campus as I recall) and the current one shown in the image above. The personnel at both provided a warm welcome, an excellent selection of estate (and new) pipes and tobaccos, and lots of good conversation about both. I am particularly fond of their Oak Park aromatic pipe-tobacco.
Jon's Web address is: Jon's Pipe Shop - Champaign, Illinois

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Natibo ... I grew up in the Peoria, IL area and am heading that way in a couple of weeks.
Although I spent some time around Champaign-Urbana, I haven't been through there in a long time.
Thanks for posting this as I now have a slightly different route to take home! :)

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
The people in shop were extremely knowledgeable and helpful. They even have a buffing wheel. I would probably own more vulcanite stems if my local shop offered that up. And, everyone in the shop was smoking a pipe! Not cigars.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like the low overhead look of the place. My local independent, Pipes by George, is in a row with bicycle repair

and a tattoo place. George has wide plank floors and a walk-in humidor, a wall of pipes and a selection of tinned

and bulk tobacco. It is also near a campus, North Carolina State University, which is a research university counter

weight to UNC-Chapel Hill and Duke University. Also a must-see if you are in Raleigh, N.C. George also has a

table where you can smoke and a disclaimer on the front door written in -- and I love this -- pencil. Thank you

for posting about John's. Both my sisters graduated from U of I.

Status
Not open for further replies.