PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
s-l225.jpg

She has been mostly understanding of my hobby or addiction (whatever it is), until I showed her this one for $17,500. She lost it, threatened to throw out the next package that gets delivered to the house.

alan73

Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
pitchfork: That's funny. I am an investment guy and have tried that line of reasoning, she doesn't buy it

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I hope you made sure she didn't have a weapon in her hand when you showed her.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's not the price for the pipe. That's the price for the therapy of buying the pipe for people who literally have more money to spend than they know what to do with, after they endowed the student center at their alma mater and bought their fifth mansion, this one in Tuscany. Some Tuesday mornings you have to by a $17K pipe or your brain will explode. It has nothing to do with the pipe, which is quite beautiful, nor the other pipe smokers. It's a medical provision for the morbidly wealthy.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I know the guy commands big $ for his pipes and like any "art" object, price and beauty/desirability or whatever is in the eye of the buyer. But, honestly, since I'm not a big Danish pipe shape guy with the exception of the rare old freehand shape that attracts me, I wouldn't actually be willing to pay more that $100 for his pipes. :nana:

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
That's not the price for the pipe. That's the price for the therapy of buying the pipe for people who literally have more money to spend than they know what to do with, after they endowed the student center at their alma mater and bought their fifth mansion, this one in Tuscany. Some Tuesday mornings you have to by a $17K pipe or your brain will explode. It has nothing to do with the pipe, which is quite beautiful, nor the other pipe smokers. It's a medical provision for the morbidly wealthy.
msg, I think that you have painted the dilemma of the wealthy very well!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Investment, huh?! At least it doesn't require feeding, like cattle or sheep. I've not heard of anyone seriously buying pipes as an actual investment, though some may have tried.
Do you know of anyone making money in buying and selling pipes as an investment? (Thus, excluding dealers and retailers)

alan73

Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
Jpmcwjr: I factor in the savings from cigs which I smoked for 25 years . At almost $10 a pack, I’m saving at least 3k a year after buying pipe tobacco , so that savings allows me to buy (invest) more into pipes, which further strengthens my resolve to never partake in cigarettes. That’s my convoluted investment pitch to the wife. She caught on quick that I was spending the saved cash flows for many years into the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.