Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Johs pipes

(31 posts)
  1. dd951

dd951

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Could some of you folks give A review of johs pipes. Just from looking at the pictures on smokingpipe, they seem like A klot of pipe for the money. Thanks

Born Again Heathern
    Posted 4 years ago #
  2. kcvet67

kcvet67

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I haven't tried one yet, but I've talked to several people who say that they're a great smoke for the money.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    -- Thomas Jefferson
    Posted 4 years ago #
  3. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Check out the 4 pages of them @ The Briary website...beautiful pics of them too.

Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe. Nowhere else could things be more messed up.

Does a culture based on separation and competition, of scientific sophistication and mideval religion, offer happiness even as it ravishes the Earth that sustains it?
    Posted 4 years ago #
  4. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hobie's got a good idea.
    The Briary has a toll free number you can call.
    You should talk to Skip or "Farmer" John.
    (Pardon the double entendre') They really know their "Pipe Stuff".

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 4 years ago #
  5. admin

Kevin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

I don't have one of his pipes, and haven't smoked them, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn express last night ... not really, but I did personally visit Johs in Denmark last month.

My understanding is that he makes very good quality mid-range pipes, maybe something in the area of Stanwells or Savinellis.

All of his pipes are handmade.

If you have a Bjarne pipe, there is a good chance it was made by him. Johs personally made about 50% or more of the Bjarne pipes when they were in business.

Here are three pictures from my visit. We chatted, drank really good coffee, and of course smoked pipes.

Then Johs demonstrated how he makes a pipe for the still and video camera for a future article on the site.

Johs chatting about working for Bjarne when he was alive.

Starting to make the pipe.

The basic shape is done.

Check Out Our - Pipes Podcast
    Posted 4 years ago #
  6. bubbadreier

Bubba

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the pictures Kevin. It is always interesting to learn a little about the men that make the pipes we enjoy so much.

I have never owned one of his pipes but I was actually just looking at some of them last night and I think it will be my next PAD purchase!

Mason jars and bale top jars, mason jars and bale top jars.... that is all!

"There’s truth in the statement that pipe tobacco will never be any less expensive than it is today, so think of your cellar as a cost averaged investment" - G.L. Pease
    Posted 4 years ago #
  7. surfmac211

surfmac211

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have 3 pipes by Johs and I really like mine. I just got a sandblasted billiard, a churchwarden and a large bent brandy shape. I think he makes great pipes especially for they cost. If you go to smokingpipes.com they have a video under the Johs section showing how fast that man shapes a pipe. Its absolutely crazy.

Posted 4 years ago #
  8. bubbadreier

Bubba

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

He is very quick. Thanks for letting us know about the video surfmac!

Posted 4 years ago #
  9. admin

Kevin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

Ha ha - that video was taken at the same time as the pictures I posted above.

Sykes from Smokingpipes.com, and I were there together. He shot video and I shot stills for us both to share.

Yes, Johs bangs out pipes fast.

That came from his days working for Bjarne, who always pushed hard for more and more pipes faster and faster.

Posted 4 years ago #
  10. surfmac211

surfmac211

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thats explains why I just saw the about Johs tab at the top of that page. Ive looked there countless times and never saw it, thought I was just stupid lol. Good to know thats new lol.
    Speaking of the trip are you going to post a little photo essay of your trip when you get some time or has it been posted yet? That sounded like a great trip.

Posted 4 years ago #
  11. admin

Kevin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

There will be several articles, photos and videos coming from Denmark, North Carolina and New Orleans. Before I get all those done, we will also have Richmond and Vegas.

They will be published over a span of time to keep the site fresh over the coming months.

Posted 4 years ago #
  12. bubbadreier

Bubba

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well Kevin now you have gotten me extra excited for the months to come!

Posted 4 years ago #
  13. admin

Kevin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

Here's more info on the Danish trip with Sykes.
    http://www.smokingpipes.com/blog/1/2010/08/Danish-Chronology-Trip-Overview-Part-IV.cfm

Posted 4 years ago #
  14. surfmac211

surfmac211

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cant wait!

Posted 4 years ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

piperphil

Login to Send PM

I'm looking at snagging on of the partial rustic Johs myself. These are beautifully unique pipes imho. I would like to know if they smoke good also. Mainly if they have a nice open draw. How do they compare to say some Petes or nonfilter Savs?

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard Piperphil!
    I have one Johs.
    It is a lot of pipe for the money...
    I have a this bulldog and it smokes like a dream.

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. johncorosz

Corosz

Login to Send PM

I was at the local tobacconist shop today and I was molesting the Johs Giant pipes again. The man is asking way too much them but he does have 4 of them and they look nothing like the ones I have found online to date. Are they rare? Very limited? Does anyone here own one and smoke it?

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. johncorosz

Corosz

Login to Send PM

Bummer!

Well the pipe I had my eye on sold already and it just came in Monday! I found an alternate Johs Giant on another site that looks good but costs much more. So I ask again as I have in other posts - Does the giant really affect your smoking pleasure with aromatics?

I have seen youtube videos and read in forums from some users of the Johs Giant Series that they love the way it smokes cool and without any tongue bite due to the area the pipe allows for and I assume more air flow. So I looked around a bit and fell in love with this pipe here : http://www.smokingpipes.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=106108

Sadly it is a shallow pipe compared to the Giant's over 2" depth of the chamber. Any thoughts on this fellow smokers? I am of the mind set that the shallow depth may allow for a more fresh baccy taste while puffing as I have noticed that the bottom of the bowl smoking can get sort of awful in taste and moisture. So....to you pipe veterans I ask "Should I consider this purchase over the giant"?

By the way, if your still looking for a giant and need something unique please look here - http://www.thebriarpipe.com/?page_id=3&shopp_category=17

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

johncorosz, not sure what your idea of what "too much" is, but Joh's, in addition to their $300+ offerings, also makes some pretty damn nice pipes with many 6 inches long or bigger and bowls well over two inches high for well under $100 and some of those even have Vulcanite stems. The Briar Pipe and Smoking Pipes are two of quite a few reputable on line vendors who have many in various shapes, finishes and sizes to choose from.

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. southernbriar

southernbriar

Login to Send PM

I have a Johs pipe and it is one of my top faves. It smokes cool and wonderful it is in my album:
    It is a "Tin Killer" it has a very big bowl and will drain a tin of tobacco without hesitation.

Edit: Fixed your pic for you; L.

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. johncorosz

Corosz

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the reply guys but in this case I am specific as the the Giant series. Johs may be bigger than others in some respects but the Giants dwarf the others even the everyday Johs line. I am really hoping to get a reply from someone who owns a giant not just any Johs pipe. Yeah they are bigger, yes the Giant is over 2" deep in the chamber. But compared to a true Giant is the Nording I picked going to provide for a cool, long smoke?

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I don't care for that Nording signature partial rusticaton, but that Nording is quite huge -- hell it is over 7" long, has a 13/16" wide, 2" deep bowl, and at 4.4 ounces, it weighs more than double that of any pipe I own. The Nording's thick walls, combined with the longer length (thicker than the Johs Giants I have seen, but the Giants often weigh less but close to the same as that Nording). That means that this Nording will likely smoke cooler.

Beyond that, I think it's pretty much a matter of personal taste and how strong your jaw muscles are.

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. johncorosz

Corosz

Login to Send PM

Well, I made up my mind finally. I do love this design and the idea that I will never again feel a HOT BOWL with this pipe. Again the shallow depth had me concerned but I think after some testing tonight that the shallow depth will allow for a pronounced flavor profile and less waste with the wet junk that accumulates at the bottom of a deep bowl. Wish me luck and I will post pictures soon!
    http://assets.smokingpipes.com/images/products-hr/002-508-0648.jpg

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Not sure which pipe you got since that latest link you posted shows all the the Johs pipes at The Briar Pipe site. And yes, please let us know how your purchase works out for you!

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. johncorosz

Corosz

Login to Send PM

*updated*...got the Nording...I just love the look, size and hefty girth it presents. Seems to me this will be a special pipe as time moves forward. It may also present a itself as a conversation piece when I am out and about at the various coffee shops and cigar bars in town. Needless to say the depth was my issue but an 1 1/4" (1.25) might do fine for me and use less baccy as the inner diameter of the chamber is 1". So that gives me more area and less depth. I assume that it should allow for cool burning and less waste. Wish me luck!

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I see what you mean now re: the Nording's inner bowl depth -- it's average. But hey, since you're going into it with both eyes open, so to speak, I would thinnk you'll be quite happy with it. That style, especially the rustication, identifies it as a Nording from across the room.

An interesting note is, Eric Nording is often blamed for single-handedly "killing" the Danish Freestyle pipe market in the U.S. by flooding stores here with a lot of relatively inexpensive Nording freestyle pipes. This was years ago. Only fairly recently have they come back to popularity.

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. johncorosz

Corosz

Login to Send PM

Well it appears "cup-o-joes" has the market cornered on Nording Giants. Sadly they do not list the chamber measurements. If they did I would consider picking one up from them in a few months.

http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/dept?dpt=H&srch=KW&search_text=nording+oversize

I was awe struck at the selection and amazed at the reasonable prices. I hope the owner comes to this forum from time to time.

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. trailboss

trailboss

Login to Send PM

I stopped by the Tinderbox today to redeem a gift card, while talking to the tobacconist, he told me that Johs has recently been beseiged by health issues and will no longer be making pipes, I picked this one up.

This pic really shows the grain;
    http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c164/Trailboss60/Johspipe002_zps3ea8dcb5.jpg~original

Posted 10 months ago #
  29. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My wife gave me two larger Johs pipes Christmas two years ago, and they've had a lot of
    smoking since then. These were an xtra large apple and a freehand tomahawk, both
    smooth bent, with the apple partially rusticated. Later I bought a Lovat, partially rusticated,
    a diplomat blast with a walnut band, and a straight bulldog partially rusticated. I find all of
    these pipes well above their price points. I'm surprised they are not more often recommended
    on Forums. They have many of the best features of Danish pipes, without some of the ungainly
    oversized bowls that throw off visual balance. I more than recommend Johs. There are several
    more I'd like to have, but I am trying to restrain myself, PAD and all that.

Posted 10 months ago #
  30. trailboss

trailboss

Login to Send PM

some of the ungainly
    oversized bowls that throw off visual balance.

I thought it was just me that felt that way, but if you have big paws like me, the feel in the hand mitigates the aesthetics, and there is something to be said for a nice smoker/handwarmer in the frozen climes.
    Having said that, I love the aesthetics and feel in the hand of this standard size...My new bowl smoked nicely with Nitecap!!

Posted 10 months ago #
  31. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Does anyone have an update on Johs' health? The inventory of Johs pipes at online retailers remains
    strong, but his reputation for speed of crafting pipes may have built up inventory. If anyone is in touch,
    let him know he has an admirer of his pipes in me.

Posted 10 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   weezell, edwinbaz, radio807, peteguy, yaddy306, beardedbassguy, sothron, bulldogbriar89, sablebrush52, lucky695, agnosticpipe, daimyo, kcvet67, fishfly, toadshade, daveinlax, texmexpipe