PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
John Middleton, Inc. is the manufacturer of Carter Hall Pipe Tobacco. Carter Hall is a blend of air cured cross cut Burley & Virginia ribbon cut tobaccos. I'll start off by saying I bought a box of this at my local B&M on a whim one month ago. In these four weeks I can say I have smoked a bowl daily. So far I've never got tired of smoking this. I have tried about every 'drug store' brand pipe tobacco on the market available in the states and will say this is by far my favorite. Carter Hall always burns dry with only one light all the way to the bottom of the bowl. It has a nice pouch aroma of chocolate covered raisins but flavor of what tobacco should taste like, REAL TOBACCO! A nice nutty Burley tobacco flavor. Low in nicotine. I detect no chemical taste or aftertaste in this blend. It smokes mellow and smooth from start to finish. The room note is pleasant and mild. There is nothing fancy about it, just a good dependable go to everyday smoke. I see myself smoking a lot of this over the summer while working in the garden. This is fast becoming one of my favorites.
carterhalltobacco-463x600.jpg

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
There's nothing like a good old fashioned basic burley blend. Tastes great, smells great, burns great. Good alone or as a blender.

Hmmmmmm - maybe I better buy another tub.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
I totally agree!!!
I have two oz of this sitting in one of my Mason jars as we speak. When I want something simple or a morning smoke, I go to this. It truly is the best for OTC tobacco. :puffy:

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
I enjoy carter hall myself, I have smoked it off and on for 25+ years. it is true staple in my book.
mike.

juvat270

Aug 1, 2011
I wanted to like Carter Hall when I first tried it. It wasn't bad, but I still prefer Sir Walter Raleigh or Prince Albert.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
This is fast becoming one of my favorites.

I totally agree with you (except I missed the chocolate covered raisin part). I bought a pouch/box/pouch in a box (really) about a week ago just because I hadn't tried it. Mind you, I am okay with SWR, PA, and some other OTCs I've tried but H&H is my favorite. Well, CH is fast becoming my new H&H!

oldredbeard

Jul 20, 2012
CH and PA are my go to tobaccos. Like you said nothing fancy, just straight forward, pleasant tobaccos.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
I smoke Carter Hall straight quite often..I am also now in the Wall-Hall camp. So much talk about it that I decided to give it a try. It is a very good smoke. I got 2oz of Walnut from 4Noggins. I am going to order a full tub.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I also am a big fan of CH great as said previously alone or as a blender. I keep a tub around always.

Still gotta pull the trigger on some Walnut for the Wall Hall test.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
@mikephillips, I buy it by the tub and have never found it needed any drying, pack the pipe, 1 light and smoke it to ash.

I am headed to Green Bay next week and they have a B&M in town so I am gonna see if they carry 5 Brothers, gotta give that a shot.
Sent you a PM

john218

May 5, 2012
Connecticut
I bought a pouch of Carter Hall last summer, to smoke in cobs while out doing yard work.

I enjoyed the nutty taste enough to wonder what a higher priced Burley blend would be like, so I got some Solani and Wessex burley. I like those even more, so I'll always keep all three on hand from now on.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I found it worked great with a blend of 30% CH / 70% Lane 1Q blend for those of us who enjoy their aromatics.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hey rothnh
What have we started here? I am STILL surprised at how many posts and threads have come, and are still coming from the Carter Hall and/or Walnut original threads, not to mention the Wallhall.

Status
Not open for further replies.