John Bessai pipes - anyone have more info than pipedia?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deyro

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2011
I just picked up a big old canadian made by John Bessai from Cleveland. I did the research on Pipedia, so I know it's a fairly old handmade pipe, as John Bessai died in '69. I was curious if anyone had any experience with them. According to Pipedia they're kind of a big deal in the midwest.
I haven't done anything to it yet, but it looks like really nice briar with nice birdseye on one side and decent flame on the other. The problem is that the stem, with the JB logo, has a chunk missing out of it. Ive never sent a pipe out to be re-stemmed, but I'm considering it on this one, if I can find a place to replicate the logo. Fred mentioned Norwoods.
Any info, thoughts or suggestions would be appreictated.

Thanks

deyro

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2011
Really? Worthless? People need to verify a description with a photo in order to provide information?

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
@deyro

The guys on here like to admire rare finds and also discredit if needs be. With it being an old pipe some guys will know more info after looking at its shape, color, etc. Not saying you don't have the real deal. Pics are always more helpful.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
@deyro

The guys on here like to admire rare finds and also discredit if needs be. With it being an old pipe some guys will know more info after looking at its shape, color, etc. Not saying you don't have the real deal. Pics are always more helpful.
+1

deyro

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2011
Tokerpipes,

I get that, but 'worthless' seemed like a bit of an overstatement. If picture wills help someone tell me more, awesome. Here you go. It's 7 1/8 inches long.
dsc_2142adj-600x384.jpg

dsc_2144-adj-600x384.jpg

Pipephil shows that Bonnie Briar apparently had a very similar stem logo, but the entry under Bessai shows the same one that's on this pipe. Pipedia said that the pipes marked with the JB initials were made by John and not by his son, who took after John died, but while this one has his logo on the stem, there is an X on the shank where his initials should be. Kinda wonder if his son didn't make or finish this one not long after he died, while he still had unused, marked stems.
http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-j2.html#johnbessai
Info anyone? Anyone?

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I live in Cleveland and though I've heard of him and have seen his pipes pop up on eBay from time to time, I'm not sure how big of a deal he is. Cleveland is much more of a cigar town so pipes don't seem to get much attention here.
Even at the Chicago and Columbus shows, I can't remember a time when Bessai pipes were shown off or even mentioned by those I talked with.
I probably should keep my eyes open for one, now that you mention it.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Deyro "This thread is worthless without pictures" is not a personal insult or an aspersion cast upon your character.
It is a standard internet forum meme. There are even smileys of the phrase. This is a pipe forum so, guys like to-- ya know -- see pictures of pipes.
you might wish to consider relaxing a bit.

deyro

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2011
I don't find that particular "standard internet forum meme" personally insulting. I find it generally insulting. It annoys me every time I see it on anyone's thread. I mean, would it be so hard to have a "standard internet forum meme" that's not so damn snarky? Maybe something like, I dunno,'Hey, can we see some photos?' Someone could even make one with dancing smileys in party hats.
Like Kevin has an issue with lowercase I in reference to oneself, I have an issue with that/who errors, the rampant overuse of LOL, and this meme.
Oh, and thanks bigvan. I know you didn't have much info, but at least your response was relevant to the actual question I had. +1 to you.

deyro

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2011
Enough with the trolling. Anyone out there have anything actually pertinent to the questions I had?

lasmd

Lurker
Dec 3, 2011
John Bessai was located in the Colonial Arcade at least into the late 1980s. After his death, his son Herb ran the shop. It was taken over after Herb's retirement by a male and then name was changed to "Old Erie Pipes". This was then located in the Erieview Plaza and when that mall closed, taken over by Cousin's Cigars which has a store on Euclid Avenue near CSU, and a store on Chagrin Boulevard in Woodmere Village. I have a large number of these pipes of varying quality-all of which are good smokers

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
lasmd, I don't know you, but I tip my hat. Registered one year ago and your first post, and introduction to us, was made by resurrecting this 9 month old slap fest. You have my congratulations!! :wink:

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Oh and @ lasmd...thanks for the info. You seem like you know what you are talking about. Also, welcome to the forum. I take it you are one of those quality not quantity people.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Dear friends,
I recently purchased a John's special chubby author shaped pipe on the Bay. It shows very old, dense briar and an amazing dark walnut finish. John Bessai's pipe clinic claims he deceased in 1950, not 1968.

Any thoughts or opinions ?
Cheers

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Dunno. I got a Bessai not too long back. I didn't get taken, but I am pretty sure it is a later 'non Bessai' Bessai, so I am meh on the topic.
Smokes decent tho.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Hi Orlando,
The best source I know by far for Bessai info remains Andrew's site:
http://classicpipeshop.blogspot.com/2014/04/the-john-bessai-pipe-clinic-information.html?showComment=1427480955313&m=1
Regards,

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.