PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Iamn8 gifted me some of this to try. Thanks Nate!
I have smoked my fair share of Virginias over the last twelve years and had yet to put this one on my tried list until now.
Probably the nicest VA in terms of looks I have seen. Nice yellow gold flakes with mottled dark brown and stripes of black sporadically dispersed throughout.
I cube cut it and loaded up my Stephen Downie Stingray, my best VA pipe. First light was citrusy. After I got it going it continued with the citrus but a nice sweetness came to the forefront. This is a creamy smoke that is best enjoyed zipped slowly. Not as bitey as red va can be so I tried pushing it a bit and my palate did not get bit. No real developing flavors or depth throughout the bowl. There is an undertone that I couldn't quite pinpoint. Overall this would be a nice change of pace flake. It delivers a consistent flavor throughout with no surprises from first light to end bowl. Nic level feels low. Wife says the room note is horrendous. Ha-ha.
Being as this is a light flake in my opinion, I think c and d opening night may be up your alley, although that has a bit more complex flavor profile. In recent memory glp union square also is similar but more of a medium to full flake.
Anyone looking for a light va they could smoke all day and always deliver consistent flavor should think about adding this to their rotation. I personally like more depth and changing flavors as the bowl progresses.
Three out of four stars as it is a quality smoke for what it is.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Wow clickclick...

Brilliant review and I can't agree more. There's something In the sweetness I can't pick out. It's crazy sweet I'm concerned about my teeth.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
I have heard several people describe Lux Flake as 'light' recently. I find the flavor profile to be more full bodied than something like Capstan Blue or Dunhill Flake, so I think I would call it medium bodied. It does have a lot of golden Virginias in it though, so maybe that is what people are meaning when they say light. As far as complexity, I didn't find it to be especially so right out of the tin, but after jarring it for a month or two, I thought the complexity increased noteably.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
So I decided to have another bowl and instead of cube cutting it I completely rubbed it out. It turned into an almost ribbon consistency. The flavors are washed and muted and nothing comes forward besides a slight sweetness. 1 out of 4 stars. Do yourself favor and skip rubbing this one out. I have enough for at least one more bowl and will fold and stuff this time to see what happens. I will post my findings when I am through this week sometime.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
I haven't smoked enough to get a true review on it yet. I do think that underlying sweetness is akin to apricot, but I may be making that up!

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
It's been a little while since I last smoked it, but I agree that it has been flavored. I remember thinking berrys of some sort but it could have easily been apricot

Status
Not open for further replies.