Jim's Super Value Bourbon Whiskey, English Mixture Reviews.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Recently, Sutliff sent me 1.5 ounce pouches of their new to the market Super Value blends for review. Here's the reviews.
Super Value Bourbon Whiskey:

The Virginia is a little grassy and has some citrus. The burley is a little nutty with some earth and molasses, and is just a little more noticeable than the Virginia. The black cavendish is mildly sweet with a touch of vanilla in a support role. The bourbon whiskey topping is creamy sweet with the flavor you would expect from a high quality brand. It does sublimate the effect of the tobaccos to a fair extent without overwhelming your senses. The strength of the blend is medium. The taste is nearly full and never weakens, nor does it ever get harsh. Won’t bite. Has a mild nic-hit. Doesn’t leave much moisture in the bowl, and will burn to ash. Whether you consider it to be an all day smoke depends on your proclivity for bourbon whiskey, but it is a blend that wears well on your taste buds during your smoking day. Like a fine bourbon whiskey, I find it works best when sipped at a slow to moderate rate. Has a very pleasant, lingering after taste and room note.
Super Value English Mixture:

The red Virginia is dark fruit sweet with a little earth. The bright Virginia is grassy and citrus sweet. The burley provides a lightly nutty sweetness. The smokey, woody sweet Cyprian latakia is a major player, though it never dominates the experience. The perique is a minor ingredient, more plum than pepper. Also added to the mix is some Turkish, which seems to be Smyrna, which is woody and buttery with a very slight sour, musty note. Well balanced with a little complexity, it burns smoothly at a moderate rate with few relights, and a consistent flavor to the finish. Will burn to the last ember as it leaves virtually no moisture in the bowl without bite. The nic-hit is mild. The strength and taste is right at being medium. The after taste and room note are pleasant. It’s an all day smoke that won’t dull your senses, and would make a good starter English blend as well as a comfortable companion for one experienced with blends in this genre.

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
JimInks,
I find your reviews to be very enlightening and educational. The super value English sounds like it may be worth a try for me. Thank you Sir.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
Thanks. I will definitely keep an eye open for the English on the B&M shelves here. You have saved me probably huge amounts of money with your reviews in the past. This time you've tempted me.

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
They both sound interesting to me, thanks for putting these reviews up. I wouldn't be inclined to try something with "Super Value" in the title otherwise...I might be a bit of a snob. :P

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Hierophant: I sure know what you mean, having had the same thoughts. But after trying some bagged tobaccos, I have begun to realize that some are competitive with "higher end" blends in their genres. I didn't know what to expect from these, but I found that the Bourbon Whiskey is very tasty and the English Mixture makes a good all day smoke. They are moist, but not PG drenched, so they are ready to go as soon as you open the pouch.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Jim, thanks for the great reviews! I always check tobaccoreviews.com before buying a new tobacco to try, and your review is one that I always look for to get some info before making a purchase. I find your reviews to be accurate and tasteful. Keep up the good work my friend. :puffy:

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
Jim,

Based on your review I have ordered 1 pouch of the Bourbon Whiskey and 2 pouches of the English. Thanks as always for your insight and experience.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Hope you enjoy them. I'm just finishing a bowl of the Bourbon Whiskey.

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
Jim,

Having spent the afternoon yesterday with 4 bowls of the Super Value English, I will say that it is a medium English that is well rounded with no bite and good flavor through the entire bowl. Nothing is over powering and I found it to be a satisfying English blend for my tastes. I will keep this one on hand for sure. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.