PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The Virginias are grassy sweet, with a hint of earth, and play second fiddle to the smoky, lightly earthy sweet cigar leaves. The minor players are very important in this blend, adding a sweet and savory complexity. The Oriental/Turkish is woody and smoky with a few dry sour and spice notes. The latakia is a moderate addition, but it’s smoky, woody sweetness elevates the campfire-like flavors, and like the Oriental/Turkish, is obvious in every puff. Even though this is based on Spectre cigars, and the cigar taste is almost the predominate star, it does very well as a richly tasting pipe tobacco. Burns even at a moderate rate with hardly a relight, no weak spots and no dottle. It has a nice nic-hit, too. You may experience a mild harshness if you puff too fast; this needs to be sipped for best effect.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Our pipe club had the honor of beta testing this blend when Russ O. brought it to one of our meetings. I really like Spectre and predict that it will be a hit with a wide variety of pipers. This is a delightful smoke, folks. Don't miss it.

Thanks for the review, Jim.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Even though this is based on Spectre cigars
Here we go again! Now do I not only want the pipe tobacco, now I gotta find a five-er of the damn cigars to. Temptation, thy name is "JIM" :twisted: ...

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Lol ... I figured you would start your own thread.
For cross reference, here is the other ongoing thread:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/spectre-is-now-a-pipe-tobacco-too

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Nice review, Jim. As always, I get a real sense of what this tobacco will be like when I read one of your reviews. That's really the purpose of a review--thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.