Jim's Sam Gawith's Cabbie's Mixture Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Some liken this to the old VaPer Three Nuns, but there are many differences, so I’ll review this for its own merits, and forgo the comparison. The Virginias are bright, red and perhaps a smidgeon of black stoved, which would account for a minor stewed fruit taste. The others provide citrus, a very mild grassiness, sweet dark fruit with a touch of tanginess, and hint of spice. Some of those characteristics, like the grass and citrus, are subdued by the deep sweetness of the Virginias. The perique essentially underscores the Virginias throughout the smoke in a supporting role with a few raisin and date notes along with a mild spiciness. The strength is medium while the taste is just past that. The nic-hit is not far from medium. The coins are rough cut, and there some loose ribbon present as well. It’s moist out of the tin, and depending upon your preference, you may consider a slight dry time. I did not do that as I prefer some moisture in my tobacco. Burns a little slow if not dried, requiring some relights, but it doesn’t leave much dampness in the bowl, so it can be burned to ash. The flavors remain consistent from start to finish with no bite. The after taste lingers just a bit. Has a pleasant room note. Can easily be an all day smoke. Three and a half stars out of four only because there are VaPers with more complexity, and this lacks just a little of the depth that several four star VaPers have. For those who want only a mild to moderate dose of perique, it’s an easy four star blend.

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
Another great review Jim. I love reading your stuff Sir, all well thought out and well written.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Thanks for the review. Cabbies Mixture has been on my list since I first heard of it. Hopefully it will come to our shores soon, as I no longer will be making trips overseas.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
jim, nice review, thanks for taking the time, did you find it had a good amount of reds or small? There is no mention of red's so I am hoping it is a small amount. I took a flyer and ordred 25 tins. Once I get it in and smoke it, I will then determine if I am going to go all in on it. I am betting that this will age really well and ten year old plus tins will be worth big bucks down the road. At 8.40 for a tin, I could not pass it up.
I read the reviews at TR and everyone but you gave it 4 stars. Now go back and give it a 4 star rating so people will think this is the next coming of Three Nuns and the tins will be worth a fortune sooner than later.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I'd say there's a decent amount of red, though it lacks the acidity found in many red Virginias. I did mention the red: "The Virginias are bright, red and perhaps a smidgeon of black stoved, which would account for a minor stewed fruit taste."
I gave it three and a half stars because I reserve four full stars for the top entrants in their respective genres. As much as I enjoyed the tin I smoked, it's not in my top fifteen VaPers (I say why in the review), so I deducted half a star, which I also noted in the review. If I try it again, perhaps I'd change my mind, because it is delicious. Harris, you know it'll do well anyway, buddy!! :D Wait'll Peck gets his hands on a hundred tins!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
jim, since there is no mention of red's in the description, I am hoping you had your head up your ass while smoking it and the flavors were off for you. :nana:
I really hope I can smoke it, if not I will bury these tins and look to make some money off them. I know in ten years they will go for at least 50 a tin, if you raised your rating to a 4 star, they would go for 100.00 a tin, that is how much power you weild in the tobacco review world.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I wish I could wield that much power in the cartooning world. I'd buy more tobacco!!! As for having my head up my ass, I'd have to move to your town to take lessons from the :laughat: master!!! :worship: :nana:

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Oh, hell, Jim, you've done it again.
I love and respect your reviews, and purchase most of my question mark choices based on your reviews.
So, here I go to SPC.
Anyway, I thank you again, kind sir.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I thank you, Tennsmoker, for kind words. I'm sure you'll enjoy the blend.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Thanks for the review Jim.

This blend was already on my radar. Sounds like I need to give it a go. :puffy:

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks for a great review, Jim. I really enjoy this blend and hope it goes on to be the success others are betting on!
Andy

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Ok here is my taake on this blend. No red virginia's that I can detect as it I get no bite at all. The tobacco is young and needs at least 2 years before I will open and another tin to see how it is doing. I am wondering if this was made at the GH factory because I am getting a slight hint of Lakeland flavor. Now I hate Lakeland but this is so slight I barely notice it. When I first lit it up I got some nice spice through the nose. That has settled down mid bowl. I do get some dry fruit flavor although the sharpness of the young tobacco takes over too much. When I first tried Old Dark Fired, I was not impressed but after 8 months and some dry time, I loved it.
This could be something along those lines. I will let it dry naturally then try again in 8 months or so. I have a feeling it will have smoothed a tad, but most likely will need longer. I have nothing against a new blend, but SG had no business letting this kind of young tobacco on the market. Capstan Blue Flake was a joy right out of the tin as was Brigham Klondike Gold. I can mention so many others even SG Best Brown or St James Flake use tobacco much older than this stuff.
I do believe that this stuff could be awesome in ten years. It should be black and sweet and real tasty. I will sit on the 25 tins I have and don't plan on buying more just in case I am wrong, though I doubt it.
Over all impression is that SG screwed the pooch releasing this when they did. It needs a minimum of 2 years in the tin aging before it might be worth smoking. I would give this 2 stars at best.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I agree about the youth of the tobacco, but red Va. is definitely in there. You can tell by taste and the color of the tobacco. Most likely, how it's processed affects how it affects you, just like Solani Silver Flake is smokable to you whereas most red Va. blends fry your mouth when you smoke them. There are several ways red Va. is processed, including turning it into brown Va., which I know you can handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.