PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I'm posting my review of what is becoming a favorite tobacco of mine. Pipeworks and Wilke's #515 is the blend Basil Rathbone smoked. The more I smoke it, the more I like it.

Here's my review: This blend took me a little time to figure out how I felt about it. It's not as sweet as I expected, and has a floral essence that may not suit some smokers. There's a light vanilla note that plays well with the spicy rum flavor, which is moderate in strength. I suspect a touch of coumarin or deer tongue is present, too, which would account for the floral notes and vanilla, though black cavendish also accounts for the vanilla. The Virginia is hay-like, grassy, lightly sweet, and as another reviewer suspected, is of the flue cured variety. It may bite if puffed at a fast rate, but it does burn well, even, and leaves no moisture. The room note is sweet and floral.
Having smoked a bit of it now, I'm reminded a little of Germain's Plum Cake. Both must use a similar type of dark spice rum. An interesting change of pace smoke for me, though I have found myself wanting to smoke a bowl a day since I started smoking it. I consider this to be a blend one has to work one's way into to enjoy. If you get used to the floral flavor -which isn't very strong - you'll like it. If you don't, well, you probably won't.

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
Jim not fond of the floral thing but I agree with you wholeheartedly on your review, up until this week I branched out but have smoked Carole's blends exclusively for three years, I prefer the regular Rumcake over 515 but IMHO Carole has some of the best aro's out there, still can't figure out that Wilke essence, as I call it the Allspice note! Even some of the English blends you can smoke in mixed company!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I like the Rumcake and am just finishing up a couple of ounces (have one more bowl left). Like I said, the floral note, which isn't that strong, might turn some off, though I enjoy it. The spice note is alluring, but undefinable. Allspice is a decent description.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
There are a number of tobaccos that refuse easy classification, P&W 515 among them.
Sometimes I end up liking something that put me off at the start, the tonquin casing on 1792, for instance. I wanted to like this tobacco all along but it was years before I did. The tonquin put me off; it was so strange for a long time. But now I reach for this tobacco regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.