PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
These two blends will be released soon. I don't have an exact date.
MacBaren Three Nuns Green:

The earthy, dark fruity, lightly grassy, citrusy Virginias form the base of the blend. The very woody, earthy, dry, slightly sharp, fairly spicy, smoky, mildly floral dark fired Kentucky competes for attention with the Virginias, and mostly takes a little of the lead. The raisiny, spicy, plummy perique runs third place here as a condiment. The strength level is just short of medium while the taste barely makes that threshold. The nic-hit is in the center of mild to medium. No chance of bite or harshness, and has no dull moments. There is a little inconsistency in the flavor because some coins have more dark fired Kentucky than others, and there’s some loose cut tobacco along with the coins. The tobacco is lightly moist and the coins are pliable to suit your packing preference. Burns cool and clean at a reasonable pace, and will burn to ashes. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires just a tad more than an average number of relights. Has a very pleasant, lightly lingering after taste. Can easily be an all day smoke. Three and a half stars.
MacBaren Three Nuns Yellow:

The lightly grassy, citrusy, slightly hay-like, bready, gently floral golden brown Virginia is the lead component, and also sports the slightest hint of honey possible. The dark fruity, very earthy dark Virginia is a tad more than a condiment, and has a touch of fermentation. The strength is a step or two past the mild level, and the taste is in the center of mild to medium. The nic-hit is mild. Won’t bite or get harsh even when pushed, and has a very consistent, comfortable smooth sweetness, without being overly sweet. The tobacco is lightly moist, and the coins easily break apart to suit your preference. There’s some loose cut in the mix as well. Burns cool and clean at a reasonable pace, and easily burns to ash. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires just a few more than an average number of relights. Has a pleasant, short lived after taste and room note. By design, it’s a milder Virginia blend than some others on the market, and though it’s not complex, it makes for a easy going all day smoke. In the category of mildly straight Virginias, it gets four stars.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I agree with your assessments, Jim. We received some advance samples and noticed pretty much what you did. I think that some McClelland fans will probably like the yellow very much and it will probably even better with a few years of age on it. I'm only disappointed that they didn't make a straight Virginia/Perique like thee original, but they might not have been able to match it because the original had a very complex formula.
Russ

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Thanks heaps Russ & Jim! After reading your impressions Jim, I want to try both. By the initial description, the green appealed to me the most. There's something about what Mac Baren does with dark fired burleys that has always suited my palate. MB seems to know how integrate dark fired so well ... Conversely, their use of perique is very understated and definitely not prolific. Perhaps that and the cost factors were behind the MB 3N integration of dark-fired?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
In giving further thought to the Yellow blend, I started sensing a little Kentucky, and I now think a little is present. So, I'm amending my review to reflect my new thought.
MacBaren Three Nuns Yellow:
The lightly grassy, citrusy, slightly hay-like, bready, gently floral golden brown Virginia is the lead component, and also sports the slightest hint of honey possible. The dark fruity, very earthy dark Virginia is a tad more than a condiment, and has a touch of fermentation. In the background is a small portion is woody, spicy, dry, earthy Kentucky. The strength is a step or two past the mild level, and the taste is in the center of mild to medium. The nic-hit is mild. Won’t bite or get harsh even when pushed, and has a very consistent, comfortable smooth sweetness, without being overly sweet. The tobacco is lightly moist, and the coins easily break apart to suit your preference. There’s some loose cut in the mix as well. Burns cool and clean at a reasonable pace, and easily burns to ash. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires just a few more than an average number of relights. Has a pleasant, short lived after taste and room note. By design, it’s a milder Virginia blend with a twist than some others on the market, and though it’s not complex, it makes for a easy going all day smoke. In the category of mildly straight Virginias with Kentucky, it gets four stars.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
some ! loose cut ??!! i opened a tin about 3 years ago it was a lot of loose cut only about 10 coins. used the loose stuff to blend with other tobaccos. smoked the coins separately.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Smokertruck: you're thinking of regular Three Nuns, not the two latest blends under that umbrella. The Yellow and Green were not made three years ago. They weren't put on the market until the end of July of this year.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
May I say that the Green is wonderful outside on a crisp Autumn day. Really good stuff that does not get enough luv.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thanks for the amendment too. Along with Russ' comment, this makes an interesting analysis of these two blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.