PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The red Virginia in this flake is fairly tangy, dried dark fruit sweet with a little earth, and is the star component. There are streaks of bright flue cured Virginia that offer some citrus and an ample amount of grass and hay. The brown Virginia is earthy sweet. The description emphasizes the grassiness, but I think the earthiness is a touch more noticeable. It doesn’t have much complexity, though the contrasting flavors of the Virginias are melded together by the hot pressing, which is responsible for a slight fermented sweetness in the flake. There is a slight sour note here and there, which I tend to notice a shade more after the half way point, but I don’t find it distracting. Has a mild nic-hit. Like other flakes in the HH series, it breaks apart very easily, and is moist, but not overly so. Whether or not you decide to dry it any speaks to personal preference, but it’s good to go as it is. Burns well with minimal relights, and sports a consistent flavor that never weakens. Has no harsh spots and won’t bite, though I recommend a slow to moderate smoking cadence for best effect. Leaves virtually no moisture in the bowl, and the red Virginia after taste lingers a little. Has a sweet room note. It’s an easy going all day smoke, mild to medium in strength and taste, though the sweetness tends to push the taste level to the medium threshold.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've really liked the McB HH series blends, and this sounds like a worthy addition. You've conveyed the subtlety and complexity of this blend nicely. Thank you for the good review.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks for the excellent review Jim - certainly entices me. I love a sweet Virginia (ah the jokes in my head right now!) so will definitely give this a go. Wonder if it will unseat Dunhill Flake in my affections?
And +1 frozen on adding Perique to make a killer VaPer.
Andy

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I got to try some at the NOLA Pioe Club meeting last Friday. Picked up on the citrus right off, and the grassy notes were definitely there with the occasional sweetness coming across. I had rubbed out a bit and smoked it in an Icarus Dublin. Thought it was much better than the Modern Virginia. I bet a touch of Perique would be excellent with this.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The call for Perique in this blend must be pretty exasperating for the blend-meisters at Mac Baren.

What I took from the publicity was that this was a showcase for pure Virginia -- in fact they named it "Pure Virginia".

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I picked up a good sample of this blend at the NOLA show and have really enjoyed it. I'm trying to branch out a bit from my usual MM965 and find a blend(s) that will age better. I'm going to grab some of this, the price seems decent as well. I definitely liked how it rubbed out and smoked.
I don't care much for Perique (OGS is another flake VA that I enjoy). I've read Dunhill flake is also a good choice. Are they any other similar straight VA flakes that I should be trying?

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"Are they any other similar straight VA flakes that I should be trying?"
Cornell & Diehl - Opening Night (Simply Elegant Series)

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/2854/cornell-diehl-opening-night
G. L. Pease - Union Square (Fog City Selection)

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/3344/g-l-pease-union-square
It is not a "flake" but a "Kake" but I like Marble Kake

Hearth & Home - Marble Kake (Signature Series)

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/2445/hearth-home-marble-kake
I really like these three

It's interesting to me how each company adds their trademark undertones to each of these Virginia flake. After grabbing a huge handful when Brian wasn't looking at the NOLA show, I was impressed. The MacBaren biteyness isn't in this, just a very very subtle casing detected. They got this one right. It's worth a try, if you are into Virginia flakes, however, if it's not your genre, you might not be won't be wow'd by this.

And, as usual, this is one that would be great for the cellar.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
Are they any other similar straight VA flakes that I should be trying?
It is a little different but it is worth considering McClelland's Christmas Cheer.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Not trying to be facetious or anything but I don't get why it's considered a good thing to describe the taste of a blend as like a mixture of grass and hay. First thing that pops into my head is, that's the exact composition of a cow pattie.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Not trying to be facetious or anything but I don't get why it's considered a good thing to describe the taste of a blend as like a mixture of grass and hay. First thing that pops into my head is, that's the exact composition of a cow pattie.
Dried cow patties do burn well and the smoke doesn't smell too bad.....maybe you're onto the next big thing in pipe blends.
Could have different varieties depending on the type of cow doing the blend "production".

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Shutterbug: I can't speak for others, but I mention grass and/or hay because that's what I get from some Virginias from an objective point of view. I make no claim it's either good or bad in my reviews. I will say that for my personal taste, I prefer an earthy tasting Virginia tobacco, but that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.