PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Here's my review of the Mac Baren's latest product, which will be on sale in the near future.
The nutty, earthy, woody, lightly molasses sweet, mildly chocolatey burleys take the lead over the other components. They also sport a touch of spice and light dryness. The tangy, ripe dark fruity, earthy, very lightly grassy dark Virginias play an important condimental role. There’s also a strand or two of red Virginia in the mix. The lightly spicy, woody, earthy, mildly sweet dark fired Kentucky is a background player. The strength is just past the center of mild to medium, while the taste level falls just short of medium. The nic-hit is a step or so past the mild threshold. No chance of bite or harshness, and has no rough edges. The flakes are a little moist, but I saw no need to dry them. They easily break apart to suit your preference. Burns a little slow, cool and clean with a fairly rich, mostly consistent, woody sweet predominate burley flavor from start to finish. I recommend a wide bowl to enhance the range of nuances this blend has to offer. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and does require some relights. The after taste is very pleasant, and lightly lingering. Can easily be an all day smoke.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Excellent review, Jim. This sounds like a must try for me. How many stars, Jim?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thomas: I gave it four stars. it's kind of mild, but I love the flavor and in the category of mild-to-medium burley blends, it's four stars.
Upnorth: they didn't give me a release date, but it'll be soon.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Thanks Jim, sounds like an excellent blend,hope they'll introduce this on the European market,the sooner the better, how would you compare this with their another Burley forward blend,The Golden Extra?Best Greets, Paul

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Paul: no comparison. They are totally different blends as you can tell by the different components. Golden Extra is sweeter and more one dimensional, which is not a put down, but an observation.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Paulie: actually, the HH Burley Flake is a mild to medium blend, and not much stronger than Golden extra, but it is a more complicated, nuanced smoke. I greatly enjoy the flavor, and it can be an all day smoke with little trouble.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Sounds right up my cellar. Thanks for the review, I can't wait until this is released.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
One can get a look at HH Burley Flake when Per opens a tin in this video:>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReTp8DdxLgc

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great review. This seems to have complexity and dimensions, and captures many of burley's best traits. I nearly always like burley blends, and I have come to enjoy milder blends in rotation, so this one sounds appetizing to me. Flake usually keeps fresh longer than other cuts once opened.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I received 3 tins from Iwan Ries today. Popped one this afternoon to let it air out a bit. Put a flake and a half in the microwave for 7 seconds to dry it out a but. Bent the pieces in half and stuffed them into a Moretti Morta medium sized pot. Lit quite readily and smoked with a couple of relights. Burnt slow and very cool. I could really taste the Burley and Kentucky but not much of the Virginia, had a very pleasant nutty and molasses sweet flavor. I'd give it 3.5 stars fresh out of the tin with a high degree of confidence some aging will move it to 4 stars. I will definitely be cellaring a reasonable amount of this blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.