PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The major player is the Columbian cigar leaf, which is smoky, very woody, with a toasty sweet, slightly salty quality, and mildly nutty with a light coffee hit. The regular processed and cavendish red Virginias are dark fruit sweet and mildly tangy with some earth and a hint of spice and toast. The bright Virginias offer citrus, zesty fruit and some grass in a support role. The Virginias form the base for the other tobaccos, though you will always observe them, mostly in the background. The perique is a minimal addition, and I notice the raisin and fig notes more than the spice. That’s mainly because its pepper aspect intermingles with the more prominent Katerini component, which brings its own spice into play along with a woody, mild smoky sweetness. The nic-hit is closer to medium than it is to mild. The strength is medium, and the taste is slightly past the medium threshold. A little dry out of the tin, it burns well, cool, clean with a consistently smooth, moderate creaminess from start to finish. While the cigar leaf’s presence does crowd out the other flavors a bit (less so the Katerini), the other tobaccos will continually underscore the experience. Won’t bite and has no harsh or weak spots. Leaves virtually no moisture in the bowl. It’s not an all day smoke, but it’s repeatable. The after taste is very woody, smoky, mildly sweet. The room note won’t impress the ladies, but this will give you a chance to watch your television show in peace. Three and a half stars out of four.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Thanks Jim, sounds like a decent smoke, right up my alley. I think I'll tack on a tin or 2 on my next order here shortly.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It sounds enticing. I'm prone to throw a little cigar leaf blending tobacco into other leaf or blends when I get the yin. I just resupplied, so I may not get this right away. I still have a tin of the Low Country Cooper unopened. I have to ask, how in the world do you pronounce the name of this blend? I think it's the name of a creek in South Carolina, but I have no idea how it is pronounced.
Maybe Gwenda-lose rhymes with rose?

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
Sounds interesting. As a cigar guy before I became a pipe guy, I should try more cigar leaf blends.I am interested that this blend uses Colombian leaf. Most cigar blends I've seen that specify the leaf indicate broadleaf (CT or PA) maduro. That is certainly an excellent leaf, used on many great cigars, but the world of cigar tobacco is huge. I'd love to experiment with Corojo, Criollo, San Andres, Cameroon, Sumatra, etc....

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Cigar leaf blends have been among my favorite and I think they deserve their own 'list' or category.

I've played with adding cigar leaf to some of my other blends and have enjoyed the addition.

I've got Billy Budd and Habana Daydream. Both taste great to me. I've read about lots of other cigar leaf blends and it seems that C&D and the Pease line offer a reliable selection. Key Largo?

Nice sounding tobacco, this one reviewed here.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Hmmm, C&D's Purple Cow, Habana Daydream and Billy Bud are probly my most smoked non aromatic tobaccos. Do you guys think LCG would be a welcomed edition? I am concerned that there is no Latakia but I'll probly be ok if there is some sweetness and spice...

Status
Not open for further replies.